Stocking ideas for a 85 gallon Community tank

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

OK, that is workable for a lot of fish suited to this size tank, though we still need confirmation of the tank length. Are ther any fish you would like to have? Knowing your leanings can help members narrow down options.

Livebearers...mollies I would not put in water this soft. They are especially prone to shimmying, clamped fins, fungus...in water that is not harder, I have seen reputable sites recommend above 12 dH, some say even this is not sufficient. Platies and swordtails are at the bottom end of their GH range, so I suppose it is doable. But considering the array of fish that will absolutely have no issues in this water, I would forget livebearers.

I know a few degrees of GH may not seem like much to worry about, but the calcium level in the water in which fish swim is a very serious issue to their life processes.

Ok, Can I put guppies in it? I don't want to to harm the fish in any way :)

Yes so far as water parameters. But why? Guppies will not be good with some fish, and this tank being an 85g has real potential. I would suggest you work out your entire intended stocking--before you acquire any fish--so you/we can see any potential issues.

On the linked light, I would look for something with far fewer "special effects." These are not necessary and they can cause problems for fish and plants, and encourage algae. And on the latter, this seems to be high in the blue light which will encourage problem algae, I went through this myself a few years ago. I would not get any light that had a higher Kelvin rating than 7000K, and preferably around 6500K even down to 5000K.

ok. I can't find any lights!! the tank is currently just water cycling. no decor, i did add a cutting from my hornwort to float around the tank in hopes that it would spread baby hornworts around. 😂 There is currently no lights in it though.

ok. I can't find any lights!! the tank is currently just water cycling. no decor, i did add a cutting from my hornwort to float around the tank in hopes that it would spread baby hornworts around. 😂 There is currently no lights in it though.

Without overhead light the plants are not likely to live long. You have not yet told us the length of the tank. If it is 4 feet I can give you an option that works.

OK. The least expensive light for this sized tank is a T8 shop fixture that you can buy in home improvement type stores like Lowes, Home Depot, etc. One with a hood over it will be better. You may even find an aquarium unit here or there, online. For tubes (it must be T8) use one 5000K and one 6500K, made bySylvania or Phillips. In the 4-foot length these are incredibly good light, I have had them for over 20 years.

My tank has part of the rim going down the middle

I assume this is referring to the brace from front to back. That is or should not be a problem. The light fixture must sit on top of the frame at each side, not down on the frame lip if there is one. The tubes being 48 inches, the fixture will have to be a couple inches longer to accommodate them, so it will sit on the top of the frame.

Most reactions

Back