Stocking Ideas For A 40 Gallon And 30 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Arei

Reaction score
Well, if all goes well I'll be getting a steal of a deal with a 40 and 30 gallon tank (with stands and all equipment) for $75 (both of them, not each), they are currently up and running with mature filters so I'm very excited :D

There's a small problem .____. Well actually, a huge problem. A rather large Oscar in the 30 gallon tank. I'll put it in the larger one until it can be re-homed, because I cannot begin to feasibly fit a 6 foot tank anywhere in my house. When he's rehomed, I will have an empty tank to either sell/get rid of, or do something with.

I'm considering stocking it because the current inhabitant of the 40 gallon tank is an Angelfish. I plan on moving the overcrowded inhabitants of my 10 gallon community tank into the 30 gallon (right now there are platies, a swordtail, and black neon tetra). I would also like to add some cardinals, more black neons (only 5 right now), and possibly American Flagfish to this tank. I am not sure these are compatible with an angelfish. What do you think a good stocking for this would be?
I thought about this:
10x Platies (or keep the 8 platies I have and go with 2 Dwarf Flame Gourami)
10x Black Neon Tetra
7x Cardinal Tetra
3x American Flagfish
And the 1 swordtail I have XD

I already have 8 platies and 5 black neon tetra and the female swordtail.

When I get the tanks and put them in and see how its going to go I will give some thought to rehoming the angelfish as well. I'm not sure yet. I plan on moving in a few months and I'm still giving serious thought to having to deal with moving 3 tanks lol.

If I do keep the 40 gallon and the angelfish, I'd like to have a cichlid tank. Though I'm unsure of the compatibilities of angelfish with other cichlids. This would be my first experience with an angelfish or any sort of cichlid. I really like some of the colorful dwarf species. Does anyone have any good suggestions for stocking this tank? It's still up in the air, but if I could keep a nice little cichlid tank at this size it'd be fun. One day I will have room for an Oscar ;A; One day...

If trying to keep the angelfish with other cichlids or the community fish is bad then I will most likely choose to find him a new home. Or I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious as to what other fish could coexist peacefully with an angelfish in a 40 gallon...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back