Stocking help

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SaFyQ448

Reaction score
Ok. So I have a 37 gallon with 2 electric blue acaras, 4 cory catfish, and 3 plecos (I think?) And I'm selling the 2 electric blues.
If I were to stock a 10 gallon tank with 4 Cory's 3 plecos could I add some tetras or guppies?

plecos wont work in a 10 gallon. 10 gallon is a bit small if you want several fish. You'd do better with a 20 gallon or larger. 29 gallon would be ideal and give you lots more options including housing BN Pleco. I have 2 BN plecos in my 29 gallon tank along with black skirt tetras and salt and pepper cory.

Last edited:
In a 10 gallon, you might be able to stock 6 or 7 neon tetras and maybe 4 small shrimp like cherry shrimp. Not much else in a 10 gallon.

Last edited:
The only fish suitable in a 10g tank are what we term "nano" fish, species that remain small at maturity. "Small" is a subjective term meaning different sizes depending who is using the term, but fish that do not get much over say half an inch to 3/4 of an inch. Ember Tetra, Boraras dwarf rasboras, pygmy cories (if you have sand substrate), and similar. Three bristlenose plecos, afraid not. Neon tetra is a stretch, but for the meons to be in good health there should be 10+ of them. There is no justification for keeping too few of a shoaling species just to have the species in a tank that is really inadequate.

Why can't these fish stay in the 37g, with more tetras and cories added to give them what they expect and need? The plecos should manage, though males might squabble over territory.

The only fish suitable in a 10g tank are what we term "nano" fish, species that remain small at maturity. "Small" is a subjective term meaning different sizes depending who is using the term, but fish that do not get much over say half an inch to 3/4 of an inch. Ember Tetra, Boraras dwarf rasboras, pygmy cories (if you have sand substrate), and similar. Three bristlenose plecos, afraid not. Neon tetra is a stretch, but for the meons to be in good health there should be 10+ of them. There is no justification for keeping too few of a shoaling species just to have the species in a tank that is really inadequate.

Why can't these fish stay in the 37g, with more tetras and cories added to give them what they expect and need? The plecos should manage, though males might squabble over territory.
So I've been considering this and I think I'm sticking with the 37 gallon. That way there's more space for every fish. And I'm planning on swordtails!

More problems with swordtails. These are not "small" fish, they attain 4 to 5 inches (females slightly larger than males) though up to six inches is possible. And they are active swimmers. The dimensions of the 37g are not given, but I suspect it is not large enough.

There is also the water parameter issue. We do not have the GH and pH of the source water. Livebearers require harder water than do fish like soft water tetras (the neons). There is some overlap with some species, but without knowing the numbers we can't really advise on fish.

Most reactions

Back