Stocking help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So I have a small tank about 5 gallon (34x17x22 cm) and it was my first tank every back when I was 10 or 11. I had one betta in there and he lived for about 8months. Now I wanted to use it as my nano desktop tank and I would like some help with stocking the tank. I want to keep the tank low cost and even with no filtration (but very very heavily planted). Keep in mind that the tank is in my room and its kept at 23 at all times. I have done general research and/or kept some of this fish in the past.

Here are some ideas
1. A betta (I guess I would need a filter and a heater)
2. Some cherry shrimp
3. A group of clown killi fish
4. A pair or a trio of bigger killifish
5. Celstial peral danios

Any other recommendation and/or advice would be very helpful. Thanks

Filterless tanks are possible check out the Walstead Method as the best source but a youtube channel called MD Fish Tanks has a number of good examples of this too. You will need an absolute forest of plants and very very fast growing plants too, ideally in a good growing situation too.

Easiest would be the shrimp only route. Plants can definitely sustain their bioload. The fish you mention come from a broad range of parameters though, Clown Killis are soft water, CPDs are hard water.

Working out how hard your water is will really help - plants tend to grow better in soft water too so hopefully you have it :)

Wills

Filterless tanks are possible check out the Walstead Method as the best source but a youtube channel called MD Fish Tanks has a number of good examples of this too. You will need an absolute forest of plants and very very fast growing plants too, ideally in a good growing situation too.

Easiest would be the shrimp only route. Plants can definitely sustain their bioload. The fish you mention come from a broad range of parameters though, Clown Killis are soft water, CPDs are hard water.

Working out how hard your water is will really help - plants tend to grow better in soft water too so hopefully you have it :)

Wills
i agree, shrimp are the easiest if it’s gonna be heavily planted.

Wills
I loved MD fish tanks and all of his scapes. My water is very soft 3° gh and the plants I have in an established tank (Sought American tank plus some other fish) seem to be doing very well. I wouldn't spare any money when buying plants, and I would get a good substrate.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back