Stocking help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jack487

Reaction score
I am new to the fish keeping hobby and would like some advice for appropriate stocking for a 10 gallon fish tank I am going to buy, here is a list of fish I really like;
Dwarf gourami
Corydoras
Harlequin rasboras
Ember tetras
Cardinal tetras

If anyone could tell me combinations of these fish that would be alright with a 10 gallon o would really apreciate it thank you

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

First question is, what are the water parameters of your source water (tap presumably)? Meaning the GH (general or total hardness), KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) and pH? You should be able to find this data from your municipal water authority if you're on city water. Check their website.

This is very important for all fish, but especially with "nano" type small fish that will more likely be wild caught and thus more fussy with water. The fish mentioned here are all soft water species, but if your source water is especially hard, that won't work.

Moving on to some comments on the species themselves, assuming we have no water issues...I would forget dwarf gourami and stay with small fish. This species (DG) can (depending upon its breeding origin) be a carrier of the iridovirus which is not treatable. Aside from this, a 10g is not all that much space for this fish and combining it with very small fish can be problematic. There are some suitable smaller gourami if you are interested in gourami, though not as brightly coloured.

Corydoras if the "dwarf" species are fine. Corydoras pygmaeus, C. habrosus or C. hastatus are the three common dwarfs; a group of 9-10 of whichever species. Some of the slightly larger species could also work, thinking of pandas (C. panda). A group of 6-7. I'd want to know more about the water parameters, but all of these like cooler temperatures (low 70's, with 75-76F max. And they need sand substrate.

The Harlequin Rasbora are a bit large for a 10g, they will be happier in a 20g or larger. These too are shoaling fish, meaning they need a group, so that must be kept in mind. A couple of this species might be fine in a 10g but the fish will not be settled without a group of six or more, so that means larger quarters to properly provide for the needs the fish "expect."

Cardinal tetra can work, they are sedate fish that will sort of hover around, though I would want more space for them. The Ember Tetra is more what you want, a group of 10-12. Or one of the dwarf rasbora species in Boraras which are very similar and even brighter red.

Byron.

Thank you very much for replying! :fish:
I have decide what I would like to do.
I was thinking 5 panda corys and 7 glow light tetras in a 15 gallon tank and if room permits some cherry shrimp
I check my water and it says it is soft but I can't find any more info
Would this be ideal? Thanks for the help, jack

Thank you very much for replying! :fish:
I have decide what I would like to do.
I was thinking 5 panda corys and 7 glow light tetras in a 15 gallon tank and if room permits some cherry shrimp
I check my water and it says it is soft but I can't find any more info
Would this be ideal? Thanks for the help, jack

On the water, we can assume it is on the soft side, but I would want to pin this down with the actual numbers, as terms like "soft" are objective and can mean different things to different people. Very soft as opposed to moderately soft for example can make a big difference to small fish.

Fish mentioned will be fine, though I would get as few more pandas (7-8). Cories are highly social, with interactive behaviours. And in my years of maintaining many species I have found the pandas are for some reason one of those that really like more of them; mine are almost always together, not as the entire group of 7-8 but as 2, 3, 4, 5, and almost always in the same general area. My other species spread out much more and seem as happy chumming around with other species as their own.

I won't comment on shrimp as I have no experience, but will say that crustaceans are natural food for most fish so small shrimp will likely get eaten. But I know there are larger shrimp that fare better, others can comment. Another shrimp issue is mineral in the water for their exoskeleton, again others can confirm for this species.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back