Stocking and design help for newbie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Also, a snail or two would be fun in that tank, kids usually like them, as do many adults...
Thanks slaphppy, I have looked at the chilli Rasbora concerned that they are so small that they will be eaten lol . Cpds are cool but I was told they are boring to watch . I'd love a snail , so would my little one but dont they take over everywhere ??

Welcome!
Chilis eaten by the betta?...not likely, I've kept them together with no issues.
Mystery snails or nerite snails won't reproduce in an out-of-control fashion like pest snails would...a mystery snail could possibly lay an egg sac, but they always place them above the water line, and are easy to remove...nerites have been know to lay tiny eggs, but brackish water is needed for them to hatch, and even then, they're not easy to successfully breed and reproduce.

Welcome!
Chilis eaten by the betta?...not likely, I've kept them together with no issues.
Mystery snails or nerite snails won't reproduce in an out-of-control fashion like pest snails would...a mystery snail could possibly lay an egg sac, but they always place them above the water line, and are easy to remove...nerites have been know to lay tiny eggs, but brackish water is needed for them to hatch, and even then, they're not easy to successfully breed and reproduce.
Well that's very useful to know . Could I in theory keep chilli Rasbora with gold zebra danios?? From what I'm gathering a betta wont work cos of the bubbler and as my kid knows it bubbles now I cant keep it off .. unless the air control valve that still hasn't arrived tames it right down .

Thanks again

Should be OK, but keep in mind, ZD's are VERY active, especially at feeding time, whereas the chilis are pretty....um...chill, lol

Last edited:
The tank looks great. Unfortunately the shape means it has a small base which makes it unsuitable for active fish/ larger fish. A betta and a snail or two could suit, depending on parameters. Is it heated? Danios need a tank 90cm long

Thanks for the info, wish I knew about the above information before I got my tank . It has got a heater that's running and my tank is 50cm wide and high with 35cm front to back .
Am I completely unable to have a small scroll of chilli or harlequin Rasboras with a betta and some snails you reckon then ?

Thanks for the info, wish I knew about the above information before I got my tank . It has got a heater that's running and my tank is 50cm wide and high with 35cm front to back .
Am I completely unable to have a small scroll of chilli or harlequin Rasboras with a betta and some snails you reckon then ?
Harlequins need more room. I would imagine that the size might be ok for the chilli rasboras but not with betta splendens.

I'm not sure what a "diminutive betta" species is,
but it is mentioned as a suitable companion for dwarf rasbora here:

Most reactions

trending

Back