Stocking Advice

LIflynn

Reaction score
Hi everyone i was just wondering if it would be possible to put a dwarf lionfish and a stone fish in a 55 US gallon tank? I was also hoping to put a niger trigger in the tank and a raccoon butterfly fish. Would this be acceptable its a fish only with live rock tank. I plan to feed the lion and stone silver sides.

what kind of lion?
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dendrochirus.htm

What kind of stone fish? Some get HUGE!

Niger trigger gets to big.

fu manchu or a fuzzy lion and im not to sure what species of stone fish it is i would try to get a smaller species. I was also wondering if RO water is a must for a predatory tank or can i use tap

After pondering it for a bit, I wouldn't add a stone fish to a 55g. A fu manchu would be fine. Maybe a fuzzy dwarf. Having these pred fish could really foul the water quickly. Having said that, RO would be a must, imo. Excessive nutrients from meaty feedings + tap water nutrients is a recipe for algae heaven!

Have you thought about going to a 75g? It's only 6 more inches front to back, but gives you so many more choices! This tank is really to small for a Niger and a raccoon.

Thank you for the advice i might upgrade but it wouldn't be for awhile because i upgraded my fresh water to a 125 gal. I might try to add various dwarf lionfish together then. I fell in love with the way fu manchus look and i would probably throw in a fuzzy and zebra too. Do you have anymore ideas what i could put in with these three? maybe a butterfly or tang.

I would go with 2 lions max. You could add a tomini tang or a kole tang. These fish would do best in at least a 75g, but might be fine in a 55g. Tangs are big eaters and poopers!! These 3 fish in the tank would create massive waste. Have gfo and carbon running. Change 10g of water a week.

Most reactions

Back