Stocking Advice Please

jaycat

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hampshire UK
Hi, I'd appreciate suggestions for restocking my tank. I'm wondering on-

5 rummys
5 black phantoms
5 red phantoms
5 cardinals
4 hatchets
2 albino corys

Or is it better to go for say
8 black phantoms
8 cardinals
4 hatchets OR 4 rummys
2 corys

Thanks jackie
 
Hi Jackie
well firstly it is always better to keep corys in larger numbers, especially if you want them to be active in the tank, with a small numbers like 2 they are likely to hide most of the time and seem to become slighly nocturnal.

I would be inclined to go for a stocking similar to that of option 2 simply because all of the fish you have are shoalers and so larger numbers will always look better IMO. They also all seem to originate from S america, so by adding a few live plants and some nice bogwood, you could easily make a really cool SA biotope themed tank

my suggested stocking provided the tank is well filtered and maintained

6 black phantoms
8 cardinals
4 hatchets
6 corys
 
Thanks,
I have it planted with amazon sword, mini amazon sword, and zosterfolia. I also have mopani wood in there, as I have the same idea as you. I just don't want to overstock it. I have an extra air stone in there as well.
Ta for your reply
jackie
 
I would say:

6 Black Phantom Tetras
6 Cardinal Tetras
4 Hatchts
4 Corydoras
 
I'm pretty much with Davo on stocking except I'd go with 6 Hatchets as they prefer to be in groups.
Make sure the tank has matured before adding the Cardinals, Hatchets and Cories as they can all be quite sensitive in newly set up tanks.
 
Almost sure I'm going to go for 6 phantoms, 6 cardinals, 4-6 hatchets, may keep to 2 corys as I have them, and they are really lively. Prob 4 rummys, as I have 1 and I don't want him to be lonely, unless when I get the phantoms he joins them.

Hope that's not over stocked.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top