Stocking A 125 Litre Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ryandsimmons

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay, my tank arrives in two days, and this weekend I intend to head out to a couple of aquariums to start doing some research. (I will not be buying yet, don't worry...)

Anyway, I am looking at building up a stocking list before then so I can have a look at the fish live and hone it. (I have no idea what most of the names I see mean so I want to have a list of potentials to gaze upon. Pics on the net don't do justice.)

Okay, so 125 litres is 27.5 gallons, dimensions are 80 x 45 x 35, its a Fluval Roma 125

My initial plans are out (Angel Fish and a Red Tailed Shark)due to learning about size

I have been reading people sigs and some of the threads and am intrigued by the following....
Bettas look amazing. I want something colourful like that as a centrepiece. (Original was Angel fish there)
Honey Guaramis look nice, Lace guaramis moreso though.
Shrimps, Frogs and snails interest me as a "unique" idea.
Rasbouras have the potential as a pretty shoal
Tiger barbs are a must (unless the "centre piece" fish says otherwise or another colourful shoal fish with as much character exists....
A catfish always looks nice.

The centrepiece fish I am willing to splash out on, the rest not so much.

I'd also appreciate ideas on plants, I am intending to split the tank in two, with one side rocky, one side planted if that is a viable option.

Many thanks

Ryan

Edit: The list above is fish that have caught my eye sorry, not intended as a potential stock.. I have no idea how these intereact.

Also as regards shoals I am tempted by either something bright and interesting like the barbs, or a shoal of lots (maybe 20?) very small fish would also look very cool.

Double edit: My API Water Master Tester (or whatever it is called, the one recomended by the is forum anyway) has just arrived, so I will test my tap water for PH levels tonight and post as I understand that can affect my options.

Bettas aren't really a suitable community fish in a lot of cases. They definately aren't suitable if you are gonna have fish that nip fins such as tiger barbs. A lot of tetras, especially neons, will nip the fins.
Basically I'd go for a different centrepiece fish if i were you.

Agreed with above about the betta. Trying to rack my brains for an other option. I think you could juggle your ideas around a bit and make a stunning Asian tank, so for example:
1 Pearl Gourami
5 Sparkling Gourami
6 Black Ruby Barbs (instead of the tigers)
10 Harlequin Rasbora or 15 Chilli Rasbora - the latter get much smaller but are quite rare, depends where you live.
4 Zebra Loaches - as opposed to cory cat fish. Make sure they are zebra loaches and not clowns though :good:
6 Cherry Shrimp - to start with they will breed rapidly and you will soon have loads and loads of them.

So using that set up you have the pearl as your center piece, a big school of small rasbora a medium school of the barbs a group of sparkling gourami which wont school so tight which will look stunning amongst the rasbora a few loaches for the bottom and the shrimp will really populate the bottom once they get breeding.

Hope thats helped :)
Wills

Agreed with above about the betta. Trying to rack my brains for an other option. I think you could juggle your ideas around a bit and make a stunning Asian tank, so for example:
1 Pearl Gourami
5 Sparkling Gourami
6 Black Ruby Barbs (instead of the tigers)
10 Harlequin Rasbora or 15 Chilli Rasbora - the latter get much smaller but are quite rare, depends where you live.
4 Zebra Loaches - as opposed to cory cat fish. Make sure they are zebra loaches and not clowns though :good:
6 Cherry Shrimp - to start with they will breed rapidly and you will soon have loads and loads of them.

So using that set up you have the pearl as your center piece, a big school of small rasbora a medium school of the barbs a group of sparkling gourami which wont school so tight which will look stunning amongst the rasbora a few loaches for the bottom and the shrimp will really populate the bottom once they get breeding.

Hope thats helped :)
Wills
Brilliant! Thats is exactly what I am looking for. I wish that the centre fish could be more colourful, but from what I have seen those Guaramis are a great choice given the selection.
The ruby bards are great.
The Rasboras. I see that you can get Galaxy Rasboras as well, very pricey but my god they are gorgeous! Can I use any Rasbora in the tank? Erm, actually is Chilli the same as Galaxy?
Only thing is at £7 a fish that is a £100 shoal... Can they be bought in small groups?
Zebra Loaches look great.
Shrimp... Can you mix and match? The Bumblebee ones look nice, as do the green ones. Can you have a selection or do you need to stick with one?

Anyway, thanks VERY much. I didn't get a chance to check the water but I understand the PH is 7.8 in my area. And finally, should those fish be bought in any order? ie are some required a long wait for the tank to settle.

Sorry, would a frog, and / or snails mix in with that selection at all?

Edit: and just to depress me I looked up the Galaxy Rasboras... Discovered in 2006 and under threat by 2007. Given it is now 2010 almost are they okay to buy? I don't know if the population has leveled or anything?

And are they (or any rasboras or barbs) likely to breed if I have a shoal of 10-15?

Apologies for so many questions.

Galaxy rasboras are pretty fish and whoever sees them in the petstore will not ignore them easily. sure they endangered but that doesn't mean that conservationests and zoologists won't rescue them. they might got populated by captive breeding.

Just been on lunch to a fish shop I realised was near work.(Tachbrook Tropicals in London Victoria, did not like the place at all but that is really beside the point) Had a look at Discus fish. Those were stunning, but I'm assuming as with Angels they are far too large when grown? Also they need to be in shoals I understand?

They had a couple of Pearl Guaramis in there. They are much prettier fish that the photos seem to suggest. And I might swap the Sparkling Guaramis out for Honey ones.

Yes, Discus are defos a no-no for your tank. Though angles may be suitable (double-check on that)

A good link, for checking what fish need what tank size is This

And another to check if you stocking is correct is This

Hope that helps :)

Edit:you tank is fine for angelfish, minimum for 1 is 90l, you may be able to fit 2 in thier though if you get 2 make sure its a pair as 2 males (or viseversa) will fight.

Yes, Discus are defos a no-no for your tank. Though angles may be suitable (double-check on that)

A good link, for checking what fish need what tank size is This

And another to check if you stocking is correct is This

Hope that helps :)

Edit:you tank is fine for angelfish, minimum for 1 is 90l, you may be able to fit 2 in thier though if you get 2 make sure its a pair as 2 males (or viseversa) will fight.

Cheers. Using my choices above I get...
http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=31.5&AquTankDepth=13.77&AquTankHeight=17.71&AquListBoxFilter=Hagen+Fluval+U3+Internal&AquTextFilterRate=83&AquListBoxFilter2=None&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA&FormSubmit=Update&AquFilterString=cherry&AquTextBoxQuantity=&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=Pearl+Gourami+%28Trichogaster+leerii%29%3A1%3A%2CHoney+Gourami+%28Trichogaster+chuna%29%3A5%3A%2CCherry+Barb+%28Puntius+titteya%29%3A6%3A%2CHarlequin+Rasbora+%28Trigonostigma+heteromorpha%29%3A15%3A%2CZebra+Loach+%28Botia+striata%29%3A4%3A%2CCherry+Shrimp+%28Neocaridina+heteropoda%29%3A6%3A&FilterMode=Update&AqTempUnit=C&AqVolUnit=L

Stocking 115%
And a warning about filtration, but I think that the Fluval U3 filter is stronger than what is in that spreadsheet...

Yes your right, just checked that filter, its suitable for 90-150l :)

As long as you stick to regular water changes and are strict about testing water weekly, then i would say that stocking is fine. :good:

Edit; just noticed you have put quite a few gouramies, unless there is *alot* of shelter there may be some aggession issues.

However like other Gouramis, male Honey Gouramis can be aggressive towards each other. For this reason they are best kept apart, unless the tank is large enough for the males to establish territories. A tank that includes this fish, should be planted and decorated to provide adequate cover. Providing cover is necessary as this species, like the similarly sized Dwarf Gourami, can be rather timid,

Yes your right, just checked that filter, its suitable for 90-150l :)

As long as you stick to regular water changes and are strict about testing water weekly, then i would say that stocking is fine. :good:

Edit; just noticed you have put quite a few gouramies, unless there is *alot* of shelter there may be some aggession issues.

That number of Gouramies is from a suggestion upthread. I intend to have one side planted and one rocky, as to what constitutes "a lot" of shelter I have no idea, I'll go have a check around the web a bit more to double check what I would need.

I actually said about sparkling gourami which are very very peaceful where as honeys can be a bit troublesome in some cases not sure how they would go with the pearl.

The rasboras, you would be okay with any of the smaller ones but obviously if you go for the smaller ones like the micro and the chilli you would be able to stock more than say harlequins. The galaxy rasbora are pretty much extinct in the wild (same with many popular fish) but they are being home bred and also commercially bred as well so if you can get responsible stock your okay :good:

With the angels its recommended that they have a tank that is 18inche tall as they are tall growing fish not sure how tall your tank is?

Just a personal side note I do not trust that site, their stock lists are very limited (they dont have any of my fish for example) and as in many cases a computer program will not match experience.

I actually said about sparkling gourami which are very very peaceful where as honeys can be a bit troublesome in some cases not sure how they would go with the pearl.

The rasboras, you would be okay with any of the smaller ones but obviously if you go for the smaller ones like the micro and the chilli you would be able to stock more than say harlequins. The galaxy rasbora are pretty much extinct in the wild (same with many popular fish) but they are being home bred and also commercially bred as well so if you can get responsible stock your okay :good:

With the angels its recommended that they have a tank that is 18inche tall as they are tall growing fish not sure how tall your tank is?

Just a personal side note I do not trust that site, their stock lists are very limited (they dont have any of my fish for example) and as in many cases a computer program will not match experience.
Phew, I really wanted those galaxy Rasboras, I don't feel so bad now. The tank is exactly 18 inches tall, well 17.78, but close enough. However I am getting put off by the aggresive nature I am reading about. I like the idea of a nice big shoal of 15-20 small fish (eg the rasboras) to go with the larger fish and from what I read Angels don't allow that.

I'll have a look again at the sparkling gouramis, I quite liked them, but my wife felt they lacked in colour. However mixed in with more colourful fish they may stand out nicely.

Again, thanks very much for the help here, it's much appreciated.

Okay, with my research I have found the following...

Size Total size PH Temp
1 Pearl Guarami 10cm 10cm 6.5-8.5 24-28
5 Sparkling Guramis 4cm 20cm 6-7 25-28
6 Ruby Barbs 7cm 42cm 6-6.5 25
15 Galaxy Rasboras 2.5cm 37cm 7-7.5 21-26
4 Zebra Loaches 10cm 40cm 6.5-7.5 23-27
6 Cherry Shrimp 4cm 24cm 6.5-8 18-30

Min pH runs from 6-6.5
Max pH runs from 6.5-8.5
As I think my tap water may be 7.8 is this a mjor issue?

It also works out at 173cm in 125 litres. around 1.4cm/l, was above 1cm/l again is that an issue? I know that it depends on how "clean" fish are but I am not sure. also those figures don't account for shrimp breeding.

Edit: #41####, no matter how I format it it loses the table when posting.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back