Stocking 57L

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishFinger90

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to the hobby and have just purchased a 57L tank.

Iā€™m hoping to gradually build to something like:
6 panda corys
4 or 5 guppies
2 or 3 amano shrimp
Maybe 1 nerite snail
Probably sand substrate.

Does that sound reasonable and any tips on plants? Cheers.

Hi
I am new to the hobby and have just purchased a 57L tank.

Iā€™m hoping to gradually build to something like:
6 panda corys
4 or 5 guppies
2 or 3 amano shrimp
Maybe 1 nerite snail
Probably sand substrate.

Does that sound reasonable and any tips on plants? Cheers.
Hi! cories do need sand substrate, they filter it to eat apparently! What are the dimensions of the tank? Do you know the Ph, GH, and KH of the water? (If you donā€™t have a test kit, you can take water samples to your LFS and they will test GH and kh, you will definitely want an API freshwater master test kit though) The most important first steps of setting up a tank would be cycling it, and picking appropriate stock! Glad you came here, we are happy to answer any questions you may have, and Welcome!

As you give your location as England, you should be able to find your hardness (GH) on your water company's website. If you can't find it, tell us which company and we'll have a look. You need numbers rather than words - and the unit of measurement as there are several they could use. The reason you need this is because guppies are hard water fish while cories are soft water fish.

Cycling is very important. This link tells you why it's important, and how to cycle a tank ready for fish

I notice you want plants in the tank - if you intend a lot of fast growing plants, you can use them to cycle the tank (that's called a silent or plant cycle) though if you want a few slow growing plants it is better to do a fishless cycle, then add the plants when the cycle finishes.

Thanks for your help so far.
The Water Hardness is Average of Ca: 39.36; Average of Mg: 6.78 if that makes sense? The dimensions of the tanks are L60 x W30 x H33.5 cm. Regarding plants, I will have a few slow growing. I'll get a water testing kit soon.

Would the water hardness need adjusting?

In order to dechlorinate the water, my preference is to not use chemicals - could I fill the empty tank with tap water and leave the lid off for 1-2 days? And then begin the fishless cycle process.

Thanks

If your water company uses chlorine (not very common) in your tap water, yes, you can let the water "gas off" for a few days to make it safe for your fish. If your water company uses chloramine (more common), you must use a water conditioner, or another source of water.

I wouldn't try to manipulate the hardness of your water, that just complicates things...instead, choose fish to stock the tank that your water will suit as it is...

Those figures for calcium and magnesium are not the hardness I'm afraid - they are figures from the water quality report. Hardness is usually listed separately. Can you tell us the name of the water company and we'll see if we can find the page to look at.

Those numbers suggest you have soft water which is fine for all fish from south America and most from Asia. Fish to avoid are livebearers and certain species of rainbowfish. If you can find the page for hardness that will confirm if it is soft.

SlapHppy7 has covered dechlorination. Your water company's website won't say whether your water is treated with chlorine or chloramine. You could try phoning them to ask.
Chloramine is a chlorine and an ammonia joined together and unlike chlorine, which gasses off, chloramine stays in the water unless you do something to remove it.

Thanks for your help so far - I've been otherwise occupied but am back to setting up.

LFS says the water is GH10 and KH12.
I have the API test kit and my pH is about 7.2.
Would those numbers raise any concerns?

I am beginning fishless cycle soon. :good:

Thanks for your help so far - I've been otherwise occupied but am back to setting up.

LFS says the water is GH10 and KH12.
I have the API test kit and my pH is about 7.2.
Would those numbers raise any concerns?

I am beginning fishless cycle soon. :good:
Should be just fine...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back