Stock Level Opinions. *ducks*

Aqua Andy

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
330
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Colchester, Essex, UK
Hi all,

I'm slightly changing my tank stock and I'm interested in your opinions if the list below is too heavily stocked for a 120l / 32 US gallon / 26 UK gallon tank:

3 X Mollies
3 X Platies
1 X BN
6 X Cardinal Tetra
6 X Cories

I've researched regarding the size of fish in relation to tank volume, but from my experience fish rarely get close to advised sizes.

Thanks for reading my post. Your opinions are appreciated.


Andy :)
 
I would say to avoid mollies unless your sure you can get good quality ones from someone whos bred them in thier own aquarium.

From a water stats point of view, cardinals and mollies prefer pretty much opposite things.

A lot of the mollies you get at the lfs are really poor quality or have been kept in marine/brackish water before hand.

Maye go for some decent quality guppies from the lfs instead, as these tend to be more adaptable.
 
I wasn't aware that BN's needed wood either...I know most plecs seem to enjoy it and can ingest some of it, but have no idea if they are doing it on purpose or if it's just incidental while they are browsing the wood for algae/biofilm.

With Panaque spp. on the other hand, such as royal and clown plecs, I know they can actually digest wood.
 
Basically I'm rehoming two plecs and then wanting to increase my Cardinal Tetra and Corydoras Sterbai to shoals of 6 each (see my sig).

hmm maybe i would back down on having six corys, maybe 4?
depends what species, take a look at my latest cory write up.......

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=302823"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=302823[/URL]

Like your experience of keeping just three Corydoras Sterbai, my group of four spend the majority of their time along the back of the tank when it is illuminated, except after food has been added to the tank.


Andy :)
 
I would say to avoid mollies unless your sure you can get good quality ones from someone whos bred them in thier own aquarium.

From a water stats point of view, cardinals and mollies prefer pretty much opposite things.

A lot of the mollies you get at the lfs are really poor quality or have been kept in marine/brackish water before hand.

Maye go for some decent quality guppies from the lfs instead, as these tend to be more adaptable.

Hi Three-Fingers,

My girlfriend has already chosen 3 Dalmatian Mollies. We've had them a week and they seem to be doing great. *Fingers crossed* They're really lively and entertaining, and it's nice to have some fish of moderate size. I'll bear in mind what you have advised if we start to have problems with them.


Andy :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top