Stock ideas for 260 litre juwel aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mash-

Reaction score
Hello everyone recently have gotten a 260l aquarium I plan on taking some of my other tanks water and filter from it (occupied by a turtle) tank is sitting at Ph 7 kh is 5 and gh is 7. Is this a good idea?
I’m planning on adding 8 to 12 corydoras albino cories, red tailed shark, a bristle nose, 6 fancy guppies, 6 neon tetras and 1 pearl gourami . Substrate is sand currently thinking of carpeting half of tank with Java moss. Any suggestions welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, there seems to be tonnes of inspiration, this might be a stupid question but... for cories and in general schooling fish, does it matter the species as long as they’re the same ? For example could I have 4 bronze 4 albino?

Last edited by a moderator:
I always prefer to have one bigger group species of cories rather than two or three small groups as the behaviour is better and less stressed imho

The red tail shark I would not add as these get more agressive and territorial as they get older, asking for trouble in a community tank imho.

Also want to ask, are you keeping the Juwel bioflow internal filter in the tank or do you want to remove this and put in an external filter instead?

I only ask as I have a Juwel Vision 180 and I removed the internal filter, a good filter by all means but takes up space inside the tank as is a bit bulky imho and I like to have less equipment inside the tank itself is all.

The red tail shark I would not add as these get more agressive and territorial as they get older, asking for trouble in a community tank imho.

Also want to ask, are you keeping the Juwel bioflow internal filter in the tank or do you want to remove this and put in an external filter instead?

I only ask as I have a Juwel Vision 180 and I removed the internal filter, a good filter by all means but takes up space inside the tank as is a bit bulky imho and I like to have less equipment inside the tank itself is all.
I’m not sure yet , I might keep it what is a good alternative? Would a albino rainbow shark work?

Red tail shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor) -

"Though normally sold as such this species is largely unsuitable for the general community aquarium. This does not mean to say it must be kept alone, rather that tankmates must be chosen with care. While small specimens tend to hide away much of the time they become increasingly territorial as they grow and can display particularly high levels of aggression towards similar-looking species."

Quoted from Seriously Fish -

Rainbow Shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum) -

"A slightly better choice for the community tank than E. bicolor but tankmates must still be chosen with care.

While small specimens tend to hide away much of the time they become increasingly territorial as they grow and can display particularly high levels of aggression towards similar-looking species."

Quoted from Seriously Fish as well -

Sorry I don't mean to rain on your parade for these sharks but they are some of the more aggressive and difficult species for the general community tank imho.

Red tail shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor) -

"Though normally sold as such this species is largely unsuitable for the general community aquarium. This does not mean to say it must be kept alone, rather that tankmates must be chosen with care. While small specimens tend to hide away much of the time they become increasingly territorial as they grow and can display particularly high levels of aggression towards similar-looking species."

Quoted from Seriously Fish -

Rainbow Shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum) -

"A slightly better choice for the community tank than E. bicolor but tankmates must still be chosen with care.

While small specimens tend to hide away much of the time they become increasingly territorial as they grow and can display particularly high levels of aggression towards similar-looking species."

Quoted from Seriously Fish as well -

Sorry I don't mean to rain on your parade for these sharks but they are some of the more aggressive and difficult species for the general community tank imho.
Oh that’s unfortunate but I’d rather have a peaceful tank. What’s a good centrepiece fish?

Personally I am not a huge fan of having a 'centre piece' fish as I love large tanks with a large shoal of smaller single specie of fish as the shoaling or schooling bahavior can hypnotic to watch and always something going on.

But a tank and stocking choices are always a personal choice, so would suggest you have a wander around your local fish store (LFS) and see if theres anything that really takes your fancy and ask on the forum or do a little research to see if suitable for your tank.

Your water hardness and parameters at 7pH and a 260 litre or 68 US gallon tank are good as this gives you a lot of choices stocking options wise.

Take your time and don't rush into your choices.

Oh and btw I forgot to mention this earlier, if you want guppies, I would recommend getting all male guppies as having female guppies pretty much guarantees you lots of fry than you know what to do with!

Personally I am not a huge fan of having a 'centre piece' fish as I love large tanks with a large shoal of smaller single specie of fish as the shoaling or schooling bahavior can hypnotic to watch and always something going on.

But a tank and stocking choices are always a personal choice, so would suggest you have a wander around your local fish store (LFS) and see if theres anything that really takes your fancy and ask on the forum or do a little research to see if suitable for your tank.

Your water hardness and parameters at 7pH and a 260 litre or 68 US gallon tank are good as this gives you a lot of choices stocking options wise.

Take your time and don't rush into your choices.

Oh and btw I forgot to mention this earlier, if you want guppies, I would recommend getting all male guppies as having female guppies pretty much guarantees you lots of fry than you know what to do with!
I’ll hop out and see if anything local tickles my fancy. If there isn’t are online stores reliable? I know plenty about fry! I got 5 feeder barbs.. a month later I have 20 and no store wants them.. The turtle doesn’t eat em either.. I’ll be very careful with guppies for sure!

Oh, am certain there will be reliable online stores but am unsure which ones are best for Australia as I am UK based am afraid.

Hopefully someone will chime in with recommendations to good online store for Australia members.

Oh, am certain there will be reliable online stores but am unsure which ones are best for Australia as I am UK based am afraid.

Hopefully someone will chime in with recommendations to good online store for Australia members.
Do you know how to get rid of excess feeders? I really don’t want to put them in the 260 litre but they are kind of swimming on top of each other .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back