Stingrays For A 290 Gallon?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EvolutionOfDemise

Reaction score
I recently just upgraded my fish to a 292 gallon aquarium. I did use gravel, but I'll be changing that soon to sand. It's easier to tank care of. Originally I was looking at arowanas (the humane society has a few full grown ones), I adore these fish. But a silver arowanas require minimum tank size of 300 gallons, and I don't like keeping fish in their minimum tank size, it's always good to have something bigger and better. Plus there's a chance it might eat my firemouth. I totally forgot about one of the fish I've been wanting to get since I started the hobby, but I kept telling myself I couldn't have one because the tank is too small. So I've been reading up on stingrays for a few days, some websites and say they aren't compatible some of my fish, others say they are. So I thought I'd ask; My tank currently holds
1 Tiger Oscar: Oscar, he's very friendly and never bothers the other fish.
1 Black Oscar: Cutie Pie, he was an impulse buy, I felt bad for him. He's got a deformed mouth, kind of like a parrot cichlid, but worse so it prevents him from biting the other fish. He's still pretty happy though.
1 Firemouth Cichlid: Pudge, him and my gold severum chase each other but they've never torn fins or gone after the bottom dwellers.
1 Gold Severum: Freckles, Like I said her and Pudge chase each other but never show much aggression. And the only fish I actually know the gender of.
1 Green Severum: Beauty, He's passive, once in a while he'll nip Pudge and Freckles, but once again, no fins are torn.
1 Delhezi Bichir and 1 Senegal Bichir: Bob and Bubbles, both don't really care what goes on, as long as they're being fed.
3 Rope Fish: Unnamed (surprisingly), I think it's self explanatory.
1 Common Pleco: Timmy, he was kept in a 5 gallon tank, stunted his growth, now he's bent and has a hard time doing everything, usually stays in on spot. He's about 5-6" and I don't think he'll be growing anymore.
1 Royal? Pleco: Ninja, I was told he was a lyretail, but after hours and hours trying to find one that looks like him I gave up. Looks more like a royal pleco to me.. He's always hidden so I can never get a picture (thus the name). Anyway, he's shy, never caused a problem. I've had to get rid of pervious plecos because they were sucking on my rope fish and bichirs, but he's always behaved.
1 Fire eel: Squishy, Docile, friendly.

Sorry for the long description.. Probably didn't need it but I thought it would help if you knew their attitude. There would be much, much more but I had to shorten it.
Anyway for filtration I've got one Fluval FX5, I'll be getting another one once my LFS gets them in. The temperatures always kept at 81F, pH is a little high at 7.9. The aquarium measurements are 92"(L)x30"(W)x25"(H).
Do you think the tank is suitable for a freshwater stingray? I realize because the tank is still fairly new I'd need to wait a few months, but it would be nice to know if it would be safe to get one.
If so, what stingray would be best, I'd prefer a somewhat hardy one, I know they're now easy to take care of, but I do have the time and dedication that one requires.

Thanks ^.^

One more thing.. I'm trying to figure out how much to feed them; Some websites say to feed them till they don't want anymore, while others say feed only a limited amount.. Can anyone help me with that?

Tank size will be OK for the smaller species, have a look for Hystix/Scobina as they'll be fine in a tank that size. You will see a lot of retic rays for sale (range from £40-100ish) but they're normally not very healthy when imported and tend not to last long.
Males' tend to grow smaller than females so you could get away with a male marbled motoro (normal motoro seem to grow bigger)

To be honest i wouldn't say they're hard to look after at all once the setup is right and you make sure you get a good ray. When buying you want to be shown them eat before buying and make sure they're not skinny.

Your current stocking
1 Tiger Oscar i have two in with mine and they're fine, you just need to keep an eye on them as if they try to breed you'll need to take them out
1 Black Oscarcichlid,
1 Firemouth Cichlid: these are known to be a slightly grumpy cichlid and depending on its size might become food.
1 Gold Severum i had Sevs in with my ray and have had no problems what so ever.
1 Green Severum
1 Delhezi Bichir and 1 Senegal Bichir: [cobigger, also you always one of the bichirs tried flipping the ray, needless to say the bichir got quickly taken out.[/color]
3 Rope Fish: take these out, they'll get eaten
1 Common Pleco not recommended, known for attaching themselves to rays
1 Royal? Pleco: not as well known for commons for sucking the slime but always a gamble, i've had an l190 in with mine for about 2 years
1 Fire eel no experience with these.

filteration

Go with more, try getting a sump and look into 24/7 water change system if you're not on a water meter. I've got mine setup with a sump (about 60 galon) and an internal filter. I use 24/7 water change on mine so have never changed the water manually since having the tank.

That's too bad, I'm not willing to give up my rope fish. I've had them for a while, I don't think I could bring myself to get rid of them.

Well I guess I'll have to think of something else. Thanks anyway. ^.^

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back