FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Anyone out there know what species/if these leaves/stick are safe for my aquarium?
9683EFBD-200F-40B3-B5DF-1C2DDBB266F0.jpeg

B1AFB2E4-94B3-46FC-A4A1-65F426346462.jpeg

Found the stick and the leaves on the ground, the stick doesn’t seem sappy either - seems like it’s been there for a while.

Sure hope that stick is ok, it would look great in my 20g long with some java moss. :nod:

Anyone out there know what species/if these leaves/stick are safe for my aquarium?
View attachment 114647
View attachment 114648
Found the stick and the leaves on the ground, the stick doesn’t seem sappy either - seems like it’s been there for a while.

Sure hope that stick is ok, it would look great in my 20g long with some java moss. :nod:
Sticks and leaves should ideally be dried to the point where theyll easily snap. If twigs/branches still bend then theres too much moisture in them still. Leaves should also snap/break up when you bend them enough. I usually go for oak leaves of which I can't see one pictured.
Good on you for grabbing some bits though:good:it does become a strange addiction :blink:

From right to left:
Black walnut leaves (the thin ones), riverbank grape (the broad, heart-shaped leaf), and American sycamore (the pointy one). I couldn't identify the thin red one unfortunately. The stick looks like it could be eastern leatherwood. I don't know about how unsafe/safe these are for your tank though.

So it doesn’t look like anything toxic to anyone? It does have some moss on it and stuff, but I can take that off really easily.

Thank you for your identification @onefieshcedrick, very helpful.

The leaves would also make a great addition. Who else is good here with IDing wood/leaves... @Byron? @NCaquatics?

The middle one is cottonwood or aspen! Both same family of tree. Safe to use but not dried out enough (must be brown and dry)
Far right is Norway maple, safe when dried.

Other small ones not 100% wouldn't use them to be safe.

Branch appears to be from the maple tree too.

The middle one is cottonwood or aspen! Both same family of tree. Safe to use but not dried out enough (must be brown and dry)
Far right is Norway maple, safe when dried.

Other small ones not 100% wouldn't use them to be safe.

Branch appears to be from the maple tree too.
whoops sorry. I used a plant ID app for this so not sure how accurate my answer is.

Are maple tree branches safe? Thanks for the great info. :)

Thanks! I will dry it out for about a week, and then scrub it really good and soak it.

Don't forget that leaves must have fallen from the tree naturally in autumn/fall. They must be dead. Trees pull the sap out of the leaves before they drop off the tree; leaves that have been pulled off or have blown off by high wind still have sap in them and shouldn't be used. Leaves should be collected from somewhere that isn't contaminated (insecticide etc), washed and laid out to dry. Avoid leaves with bird poop on them.

I found them FAR from any house, I was out hiking yesterday.

The biggest one in the pictures if definitely dead/dry, but I will dry it out with the rest of them - I actually may not use the rest of them. :dunno:

Is it best to wash the stick and leave it outside to dry out?

The brown leaf on the right of your photo looks as though it fell off the tree naturally but the yellow and red ones don't - they were possibly blown off by a wind but they will still have sap inside them. Leaves must be brown with no sap. The best time to collect them is during late fall.

I would also wash the stick, you don't know exactly what is on it.

Ok, will scrub it really good and ditch the other leaves.

Once it dries out completely, and once I wash it, it will look great in my 20g long. (Along with some java moss on it... :hey: )

Ok, so I collected more leaves, lol. I’m sure these are are Maple.

The shrimp really like them in my 20g long, so hopefully, I will be able to add more there, and then some to my 29g, 10g, and 5g.

I still need help on the branch... what should I do? It’s completely dried out, I’m sure of that. Should I try to scrape the moss/lichens of with a sponge? Or what?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back