Sterilizing this drift wood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bradleyheathhays

Reaction score
I've used this wood before in a previous freshwater setup, but it's been outside (not on the ground) being rained on and in damp conditions for a while now and I need to sterilize it before putting the pieces back in the tank again.

These pieces are too big to get into a pot to boil so I was wondering if I could sterilize them by heating in the oven. I don't use the oven much so it wouldn't be a problem leaving them in for an extended period of time if that's what it takes.

Thanks for the advice.

I don't think you can sterilize wood. It'll never be sterile. I just rinse and put in. That has never caused a problem in 30 years of using wood. You just may want to be a little more aggressive about water changing for the first few weeks it's back in.

I understand your concern as it has been out in the elements and bugs have had access to it. Personally, if it were me, I would put it in the oven and bake it on the lowest setting for a few hours. Just keep monitoring it, I don't think there is a fire risk, but if you have a gas stove - obviously you wouldn't want flames to actually touch the wood.

I've used this wood before in a previous freshwater setup, but it's been outside (not on the ground) being rained on and in damp conditions for a while now and I need to sterilize it before putting the pieces back in the tank again.

These pieces are too big to get into a pot to boil so I was wondering if I could sterilize them by heating in the oven. I don't use the oven much so it wouldn't be a problem leaving them in for an extended period of time if that's what it takes.

Thanks for the advice.
Hello bradley. Don't boil wood pieces. Boiling causes the wood to break down much faster. The piece will eventually dissolve in the tank water anyway. Fill a five gallon bucket with water and add a couple of tablespoons of aquarium salt to the water and soak the piece for a couple of days. Then, rinse in tap water. The salt will kill any bad bacteria and the piece will be safe to use.

10 Tanks

I understand your concern as it has been out in the elements and bugs have had access to it. Personally, if it were me, I would put it in the oven and bake it on the lowest setting for a few hours. Just keep monitoring it, I don't think there is a fire risk, but if you have a gas stove - obviously you wouldn't want flames to actually touch the wood.
Question is if those elements and bugs are a risk for a tank.

I think we should sterilize everything coming out of a tank and is put outside.

Joking a bit of course but I think we should be less afraid for the nature outside.
What we SHOULD worry about is pesticides etc... human risks.

Last edited:
Well, I haven't had personal experience with it, but have heard that there are some pests, like dragon fly larvae, that can be dangerous to your tank inhabitants. Just saying, a bake in the oven won't hurt - not doing anything might.

I totally agree though that pesticides and other human (caused) toxins are a bigger risk, and we should only take things from nature that we are sure wouldn't have been directly exposed to these.

Baking the wood at a fairly low temp won't hurt anything, but any aquatic pest that is a threat to your fish won't survive outside water. The only way I would bother sanitizing wood is if it were moldy, in which case I probably wouldn't use it anyway.

I have always poured boiling water over driftwood before using in an aquarium . The resident eggheads here will give many reasons why you shouldn’t or don’t need to. Disregard all egghead advice and boil your wood. Wood is porous and anything can creep into it. You don’t know where it’s been.

I have always poured boiling water over driftwood before using in an aquarium . The resident eggheads here will give many reasons why you shouldn’t or don’t need to. Disregard all egghead advice and boil your wood. Wood is porous and anything can creep into it. You don’t know where it’s been.
Also boil any wild caught fish because the eggheads will tell you not to! Add all plants because most are grown outdoors! Fish raised in outdoor ponds in Singapore could also do with a solid 5 minutes. Add garlic, and drip acclimate for 3 days.

I remove all bark and only use really weathered wood. But there are no aquatic pests that survive out of water as eggs or larvae. It's all live food for the fish if they are there. People seem really scared of nature. As noted above, humans are the danger and what we do boiling or baking wood won't stop pesticides.

i've had a dragon fly larve hatch out in my old 50gal tank long - long ago. it got to full size dragon fly and when i noticed it the thing had two neon tetra's by the eyes in the claws.
now i soak the driftwood and throw it in the microwave for about 12 minutes or longer if it will fit. just have to remove the revolving platter.

While we are on the subject, I have multiple pieces of large driftwood - one is about 5-5.5 ft long, so definitely won't fit in the oven - have been too worried to use it previously, but just bought a 220 gallon tank that I need to stock with wood and large rocks. So, will be just taking a risk and putting it in there anyway. I'm still worried about it, but feel a little better after reading this thread.

While we are on the subject, I have multiple pieces of large driftwood - one is about 5-5.5 ft long, so definitely won't fit in the oven - have been too worried to use it previously, but just bought a 220 gallon tank that I need to stock with wood and large rocks. So, will be just taking a risk and putting it in there anyway. I'm still worried about it, but feel a little better after reading this thread.
As I posted previously , I pour boiling water over my driftwood before use. I never have had a big enough pot to actually submerge the wood in boiling water. Some , like you’re talking about , would need a washtub as big as Granny Clampett’s.
And , again , I refute the erroneous opinion that nature is harmless. There are cooties and bugs that survive long periods of dry dormancy and emerge hungry and searching for food. Ever seen “Alien” ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back