Sterializing Canister Filter Media

Kou3

Reaction score
Hello

After trying twice with my tank and my fish died, i am doing a full re-design and cleaning for the tank, so i removed everthing out and will start from 0

My question is, how can i disinfect/sterialize my Canister Media? I have 3 containers, Seachem Matrix, Eheim Substrat, Fluval Rings, bleach solution? let it sit and dry in the sun?

Thank you..

Do you know why your fish died?

Do you know why your fish died?
Yep, first time it was Velvet from a newly brought fish. Second time i lost 2 angels i don’t know why. So i am rebuilding the tank again to start again and be on the safe side.

I don’t know if you’re new to the hobby but are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle and why you need bacteria in the tank? Bleaching everything might be indicated if you have certain pathogens but would you have a source of gravel and/or filters from somebody’s healthy established aquarium? I’m not an expert and have never bleached any of my aquarium stuff so I’m not recommending or discouraging but you can’t have any trace left to poison the future fish. We have some very knowledgeable people here who can advise you better once we know more about your situation and experience.

Drying will kill most pathogens on aquarium equipment, including filter media. you can also heat the items up to 60C for 5-10 minutes and that will kill the bad things too, but it could damage the media so if it's plastic, use straight bleach for 5 minutes. If it's rock then hot water or oven for 10 minutes. or just leave it in the sun. You can soak it in salt water for 24 hours. just fill a bucket with tap water, add a heap of salt and leave it to sit in that. then rinse the items off under tap water.

If you knew what killed the other fish, you might not need to clean the filter.

Seems such a shame to go to this extent if it's unnecessary

Seems such a shame to go to this extent if it's unnecessary
Am doing this because out of solution to solve my issue, tried everything guys here recommended me to do, but still first time 80%so i want a fresh start.
I don’t know if you’re new to the hobby but are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle and why you need bacteria in the tank? Bleaching everything might be indicated if you have certain pathogens but would you have a source of gravel and/or filters from somebody’s healthy established aquarium? I’m not an expert and have never bleached any of my aquarium stuff so I’m not recommending or discouraging but you can’t have any trace left to poison the future fish. We have some very knowledgeable people here who can advise you better once we know more about your situation and experience.
hmmm.. yeah you can say am into this hobby for like 6 months so far, i hate bleach but it is a solution after all and many use it, thats why i asked i want to make sure and take opinions from experts.

Drying will kill most pathogens on aquarium equipment, including filter media. you can also heat the items up to 60C for 5-10 minutes and that will kill the bad things too, but it could damage the media so if it's plastic, use straight bleach for 5 minutes. If it's rock then hot water or oven for 10 minutes. or just leave it in the sun. You can soak it in salt water for 24 hours. just fill a bucket with tap water, add a heap of salt and leave it to sit in that. then rinse the items off under tap water.

If you knew what killed the other fish, you might not need to clean the filter.
Sun is the solution 👍 tnx

Unless something like a poison has got into your tank, most illnesses can be eradicated with big, regular water changes.

As you are quite new to the hobby, I'd recommend you let us help you along with setting up and maintaining your tank? I really wish a platform like this existed when I first started fishkeeping! I could have avoided soooo many problems and a fair few fish deaths if I had a place other than my dad (who still believes that fish just grow to the size of the tank and that you don't need to do water changes because 'rivers' 🙄)

When you're ready to start setting up again, perhaps make another thread so we can offer you some assistance :fish:

Unless something like a poison has got into your tank, most illnesses can be eradicated with big, regular water changes.

As you are quite new to the hobby, I'd recommend you let us help you along with setting up and maintaining your tank? I really wish a platform like this existed when I first started fishkeeping! I could have avoided soooo many problems and a fair few fish deaths if I had a place other than my dad (who still believes that fish just grow to the size of the tank and that you don't need to do water changes because 'rivers' 🙄)

When you're ready to start setting up again, perhaps make another thread so we can offer you some assistance :fish:
Thank youuu.. all other parts in my aquarium are now ok and i have cleaned it and wiped the glass.. just sterilizing the filter media is what left for me.. i wish i don’t face any problem this time..

My aquarium first time worked for like 6 months and it was beyond perfection until 2 newly brought fish ruined the momentum 🥲

So this is how things looks now.. wish me luck with the new setup :alien: i will add more plants in the next few days to give the aquarium more greenish look.. i had to change the Matrix Media as the mythelene blue stained it like hell..

Attachments

• Photo 22-06-2023, 12 37 24 AM.jpg
    Photo 22-06-2023, 12 37 24 AM.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 20
Looks great, love that wood!

Looks great, love that wood!
I have tried to know what kind of tree is this, the seller himself didn't know :D

I saw something silimar on a Deutsch website and they say it is a Teewood, found nothing about it online..

1687386450370.png

New fish will be added today.. 2 Juvenille Manacapuru Angelfish, i finally found them in Jordan, and 12 rummy nose tetras..

IMG_4303.jpeg.jpg

Most reactions

Back