Step By Step Guide - Riccia And Java Moss

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks for that one Jimboo,Java Moss it is then. :D I've been looking through your 50gal journal it's the best tank I've seen in a while.:hooray: I'm not a fan of the minimalist design, doesn't seem all that natural. What substrate do you have in this 50gal tank? Sorry if I missed it in one of your posts.

Hi Jimbooo. I tried the moss carpet on my 36g and after initial thinning (I put way too much moss before), some of it's starting to stick to the slate! Not sure about the moss on the wood yet, but the moss on the slate is progressing nicely. Thank you for the link to this thread in my journal.

no worries, i'm glad it's working for you. just dont be scared of pruning it. when the moss gets say 5cm high cut it back down by half.

pruning it promotes new growth. if you dont keep on top of it you will have a big mossy tangle rather than a nice lawn. it only grows slowly anyway so once a month is more than enough.

working on a java moss carpet...well i did it a couple of days ago....i hope it looks nice

I have a few questions. :)

Do you think I'd be able to use this technique (with most likely java moss) on the entire bottom of a 10 gallon tank? If so, do you have any suggestions on how I should do it? What type of lighting would you suggest? Any fertilizers or anything? Also, what time of plastic mesh did you use?

Thanks.. it looks awesome.

as soon as i can get some java moss i am going to try to make a carpet think i can get by on about 1wpg and nothing else no co2 or fertilizing though i might start fertilizing if i knew how wiht liquid fertilizing do you just put it in the water or inject it by the roots

Another plant newb question: If a tank is carpeted or partially covered, then you can't clean the gravel. Do the plants take care of this problem?

B)-->QUOTE(Kyle B @ Feb 4 2006, 04:15 AM) [snapback]1062439[/snapback]

I have a few questions. :)

Do you think I'd be able to use this technique (with most likely java moss) on the entire bottom of a 10 gallon tank? If so, do you have any suggestions on how I should do it? What type of lighting would you suggest? Any fertilizers or anything? Also, what time of plastic mesh did you use?

Thanks.. it looks awesome.
[/quote]

in a word yes. you can use any inert material ie. anything that will not rot or decay in water. i personally use slate for most things but for an entire substrate a cross stitch grid may work better. lighting, as per any panted tank anything around 6-8000K (7500K Ideal) for just moss 1 WPG will do but 2WPG plus co2 will give faster (but still slow) growth. a general liquid fert at water change will help. no need for EI stuff with just slow growing plants

as soon as i can get some java moss i am going to try to make a carpet think i can get by on about 1wpg and nothing else no co2 or fertilizing though i might start fertilizing if i knew how wiht liquid fertilizing do you just put it in the water or inject it by the roots

measure your dosage and pour into the tank.

Another plant newb question: If a tank is carpeted or partially covered, then you can't clean the gravel. Do the plants take care of this problem?

yes and no. glosso for example is rooted in the substrate and will deal with most of the detritus up to a point where it'll get too clogged up. you then have to rip it up and start again.

a java moss or riccia carpet is not rooted at all. it grows on the slate or mesh. you will get a build up of waste under the slate. just lift it, vaccuum and put it back. simple

ok thanks will liquid fertilizer make plants grow faster or root tabs work better for crypts

ok thanks will liquid fertilizer make plants grow faster or root tabs work better for crypts

it really depends on your whole set up. if were talking about say 1WPG, no co2 then a weekly dose of liquid fert may perk the plants up a bit but will only have an effect if there is a deficiency in the first place. if your doing weekly water changes you probably wont need it. the higher the light the faster the growth rate and the higher the need for ferts.

root tabs however will help crypts or any heavy root feeders, they are slow release so chucking a couple in the tank buried beneath the roots cant do any harm

Hey Jimbooo. Im looking to create a riccia lawn pretty much over my entire substrate. I see you mentioned a cross stitch grid, how would I go about making one and how would i weigh it down?

Also, I got some riccia growing on an ornament. It was growing really well for a while and now its scraggly and has stopped growing. Should I give it a bit of a haircut or just leave it? The new growth is about a cm in size.

Cheers.

Hi Incitic,

the cross stitch thing was an idea i pinched from Pseud. click his link to a moss wall on the first post in this thread and you'll see it.

just tie on some lead weights and it will sink.

apparently you can get it from craft stores, hobbycraft may do it but i am yet to check.

as to trimming is it fluitians or dwarf?

fluitians needs a haircut every now and then or it will get a little leggy, over an inch tall and i's cut it in half.

drarf riccia isn't really trimable, just pull it apart and start over.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back