Step By Step Guide - Riccia And Java Moss

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Must say that your tanks look amazing jim. I am about to try this technique out myself, but have a few questions.

Im trying to anchor some moss (unknown variant - grows well) to some peices of driftwood that ive bought. I got a clump about half the size of a clenched fist and am wondering whether I split it into 3 clumps or many many strands to cover the 3 peices of wood. Also, ive got some mesh that was bought from the local hardware store. Colours were either white or black so I took white because of the sand. Its thicker than the pics you have posted and am wondering whether this will show over time?

Cheers. Great job once again.

Must say that your tanks look amazing jim. I am about to try this technique out myself, but have a few questions.

Im trying to anchor some moss (unknown variant - grows well) to some peices of driftwood that ive bought. I got a clump about half the size of a clenched fist and am wondering whether I split it into 3 clumps or many many strands to cover the 3 peices of wood. Also, ive got some mesh that was bought from the local hardware store. Colours were either white or black so I took white because of the sand. Its thicker than the pics you have posted and am wondering whether this will show over time?

Cheers. Great job once again.

hi there, sorry for the delay, been busy at work.

it really depends what kind of moss you have, there are rather a few. unless it's something out of the ordinary the above method will work for most mosses, generally the thinner you spread it at the beginning the better it will look when it's grown out. one layer is usually enough, dont pile moss on top of moss then throw a hairnet over the top. the moss at the bottom will be shaded by the stuff on top, as they are generally slow growers you want as much light to hit the individual plantlets as possible.

be patient though, that java moss on slate in the pics above has only just started to grow upwards about 6 weeks after planting.

Ok ive anchored the moss to the wood however most of the moss i put on it is brown. Is this moss dead? Or will it become green again with open lighting?

Jimbooo, has your java moss grown? I really want to see a picture of how much it's grown. :D

Newb question: So the java moss doesn't spread out onto the gravel like the riccia, it just grows long? If this is the case, I might try it.

it's not growing on the gravel it's just filling out on the slate tile. you can actually lift the whole moss carpet out, clean inder it and put it back in.

it's not growing on the gravel it's just filling out on the slate tile. you can actually lift the whole moss carpet out, clean inder it and put it back in.

Actually, that's sounds perfect! Thanks, I think I'll try it in a couple of weeks. :thumbs:

no worries i try to make things easy for myself lol.

all my java ferns are attached to little sticks of bogwood as well so they just pop out for a wash every now and then so they dont end up collecting all the debris from the tank. there are short cuts everywhere you know, you just have to have a little planning in the early stages.

look at the recent addition to my 50G cube journal (in sig). the java moss carpet has had a haircut. i just pulled it out, hung it upside down and chopped away the excess. then gave it a quick bath in the sink and put it back in. took all of 10 mins max.

Gorgeous tanks Jimboo,an inspiration to us all! I have a low tech planted tank and have never grown Riccia or Java moss which one would you recomend to get a quick carpet effect. Lights 1,6W/gal no CO2 at the moment.

Thanks Alex'sandCarmen'stank.
java moss definatly, have a read of my 50G journal. apart from the co2 it's a simmillar in spec to yours.

riccia may survive but it wont pearl which is really the whole point of using it.

Most reactions

Back