Starting my Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just been to do another reading...

Ammonia - 3ppm (so it hasn't moved at all in the last 24 hours)
Kh - 20˚
Nitrate - 25ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Ph - 8
Gh - 16˚
Cl - 0ppm

Very confusing.

Why has the ammonia stalled? Why is the Ph / Gh / Kh changing?

This sort of thing can happen in cycling tanks. This is why a fishless cycle is so advisable. (I know, that's what you're doing. ;) )

I'm assuming nothing's changed since yesterday?

I'm so glad I'm doing this without fish in...
And nope - you're right, nothing changed, I did nothing.
I didn't add ammonia - I didn't even turn the light on. It's just been running.

Thanks Linz - I'll keep the faith...

When it does drop should I then add more? Aiming for this point where ammonia is converted in 24hours?

Hi, Nerite snails are great and before adding in a betta i would recommend putting about 2 platies in the tank to help get more bacteria in there. Once they are in there for a week you are good the pest store might take them back if you want to get rid of them,or a few neon tetras that you could leave in long term because they stay small,if you do put in other fish with your betta it is best if it is a female betta especially if you have 2 bettas. Also try and have lots of driftwood and live plants in the tank bettas love to sleep on plants(just look at the plants to make sure there arent infestation snails i learned that the hard way.)Tell me if i was any help!

Hi, Nerite snails are great and before adding in a betta i would recommend putting about 2 platies in the tank to help get more bacteria in there. Once they are in there for a week you are good the pest store might take them back if you want to get rid of them,or a few neon tetras that you could leave in long term because they stay small,if you do put in other fish with your betta it is best if it is a female betta especially if you have 2 bettas. Also try and have lots of driftwood and live plants in the tank bettas love to sleep on plants(just look at the plants to make sure there arent infestation snails i learned that the hard way.)Tell me if i was any help!

This is a fishless cycle. Putting platies or neon tetras in will subject them to a fish-in cycle. Doing this then taking them back to the store is not something we recommend.
But live plants are always a good idea :)

Thanks for all the great advice - I'll be sticking with a fishless cycle for now but the information about the snails and the plants is helpful.

Those of you who have been with me here since the beginning - I'm so confused about the ammonia levels.

I just tested again and they seem to be increasing not decreasing.

I'm going to get a API master testing kit - is this a good idea? I'm using strips at the moment but I feel like I'm either getting inconsistent results or not doing it right.

Last edited:
Have we discussed what you have on the bottom of the tank? The reason I ask is that some pople use special plant substrates and some of those are known to leach ammonia into the water. So just to eliminate it as a cause - are you using a plant substrate or just plain gravel/sand?

Ahh, nope - just simple gravel (and nothing beneath it).

I've got the heater quite high (as you can see here) - could that be effecting anything?
IMG_1486.jpeg

It shouldn't.

To be honest, i don't know what to suggest :/

Weird huh?

Is there anything in my box of tricks that could help? There is still a little filter boost left and also the Bio Nitrivec.

I will order the Master Test Kit to see if I can get more accurate readings.

IMG_1487.jpeg

Here is a little update for those following...

Day 5. 6/4/20
Ammonia - 0.5ppm
Kh - 20˚
Nitrate - 10
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 7.6
Gh - 16˚
Cl - 0ppm

Tested in between and ammonia seemed to have spiked around 6ppm

Day 7. 8/4/20
Ammonia - 3ppm
Kh - 20˚
Nitrate - 20
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 8
Gh - 16˚
Cl - 0ppm

Added Indian Almond Leaf.
Ordered master testing kit! (Hasn’t arrived yet.)

Day 9. 11/4/20
Ammonia - 3ppm
Kh - 20˚
Nitrate - 25
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 7.4
Gh - 16˚
Cl - 0ppm

When my last fish died I dumped pretty much a whole filter boost in to try and save them... Could this be causing these weird results? I've ordered a Master Test Kit so will hopefully get something a little more consistent.

Ok - I've finally got a slightly positive update in that I think my ammonia levels are starting to drop. I don't think I'll ever ever see Nitrates (due to dumping a bit to much Filter Boost in at the start of this attempted cycle). But what I do now know is that the strip tests I was using were poor... My Ph is a lot higher than I thought it was (but I'm not worried as we'll be mixing in RO/DI to control hardness and reduce Ph)... The Nitrates are climbing slowly... So I would love a little advice on what to do next... Here are the recent results:

Day 6. 8/4/20
Ammonia - 3ppm
Kh - 20˚
Nitrate - 20
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 8
Gh - 16˚
Cl - 0ppm

Day 9. 11/4/20
Ammonia - 3ppm
Kh - 20˚
Nitrate - 25
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 7.4
Gh - 16˚
Cl - 0ppm

Now using liquid testing kit (API Master Testing Kit)

Day 15. 17/4/20
Ammonia - 2ppm
Nitrate - 25ppm
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 8.1

Day 17. 19/4/20
Ammonia - 2ppm
Nitrate - 30ppm
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 8.2

Day 19. 21/4/20
Ammonia - 0.75ppm
Nitrate - 30ppm
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 8.1

So consistently high ph of around 8.1
Climbing Nitrates
Falling Ammonia

So simple question - what should I do next...

Here are my thoughts: tomorrow I expect to find the ammonia under 0.5 if not close to 0. I'll add enough to get it back up to 2ppm of Ammonia and wait for the decrease to happen again. If this happens successfully I'll do a significant water change (I reckon around 75%) for a mix of RO/DI and Tap Water and then test again over the next week (whilst constantly taking the ammonia up to 2ppm) - should I be aiming for 1ppm? How much ammonia should I be using? I feel I overdosed the tank last time which is why. I've had to wait so long. The bottle says 4 drops for every gallon (Dr.Tims) and I've got a 30L tank.

Anyway really happy that things are now moving in the right direction...

Any thoughts? (particularly interested in those I've engaged with before who know a bit about my fishy tales @essjay @Byron @Libbyd @Deanasue )

Ok - I've finally got a slightly positive update in that I think my ammonia levels are starting to drop. I don't think I'll ever ever see Nitrates (due to dumping a bit to much Filter Boost in at the start of this attempted cycle). But what I do now know is that the strip tests I was using were poor... My Ph is a lot higher than I thought it was (but I'm not worried as we'll be mixing in RO/DI to control hardness and reduce Ph)... The Nitrates are climbing slowly... So I would love a little advice on what to do next... Here are the recent results:

Day 6. 8/4/20
Ammonia - 3ppm
Kh - 20˚
Nitrate - 20
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 8
Gh - 16˚
Cl - 0ppm

Day 9. 11/4/20
Ammonia - 3ppm
Kh - 20˚
Nitrate - 25
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 7.4
Gh - 16˚
Cl - 0ppm

Now using liquid testing kit (API Master Testing Kit)

Day 15. 17/4/20
Ammonia - 2ppm
Nitrate - 25ppm
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 8.1

Day 17. 19/4/20
Ammonia - 2ppm
Nitrate - 30ppm
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 8.2

Day 19. 21/4/20
Ammonia - 0.75ppm
Nitrate - 30ppm
Nitrite - 0
Ph - 8.1

So consistently high ph of around 8.1
Climbing Nitrates
Falling Ammonia

So simple question - what should I do next...

Here are my thoughts: tomorrow I expect to find the ammonia under 0.5 if not close to 0. I'll add enough to get it back up to 2ppm of Ammonia and wait for the decrease to happen again. If this happens successfully I'll do a significant water change (I reckon around 75%) for a mix of RO/DI and Tap Water and then test again over the next week (whilst constantly taking the ammonia up to 2ppm) - should I be aiming for 1ppm? How much ammonia should I be using? I feel I overdosed the tank last time which is why. I've had to wait so long. The bottle says 4 drops for every gallon (Dr.Tims) and I've got a 30L tank.

Anyway really happy that things are now moving in the right direction...

Any thoughts? (particularly interested in those I've engaged with before who know a bit about my fishy tales @essjay @Byron @Libbyd @Deanasue )
Looks pretty good:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back