Starting My 77 Gallon Reef Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bomber

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got my new tank set up 3 day's ago. It's a 77 gallon bowfront tank with pine stand, and home made pine canopy :D!! The tank measures 4 feet 3 inches (51") long, 2 feet (24") high, the width is differen in the middle and the sides because of the bow front. The width for the sides is 1 foot 1 inch (13") and the middle of the tank is 1 foot 6 inches (18").
Here's a full tank picture: (note the home made canopy) :D
Picture034.jpg

Full tank shot doors open:
Picture037.jpg

Side shot of tank:
Picture035.jpg

----
----
I did my own lighting set up as well, I have 2 x 175 watt MH bulds and 4 x 65 watt pc bulbs, there is also a mirror metal sheet on the top inside top of the canopy to reflect the light! this is all cooled by a fan.
Here is a picture of the lighting system 8) (fan behind the lights, and mirror sheet on top)
Picture036.jpg

----
----
For filtration i will be running 1 rena xp 4 (good for 265 gallon tank) or 2 rean xp 3's (good for 175 gallon tank's) not shour yet.. but for now i have a AquaClear 500 (good for 100 gallon tanks) and i have 2 Power Sweep power heads (will be getting 2 power heads that have 500 gph flow rate EACH SO 1000 GHP total) :fun: (also not shour what skimmer to get)
----
----
I hope to get about 60 pounds of live sand, and at least 80 pounds of live rock! but that will all come much later... got to let this baby cycle first... :S

What do you guys think?

I just got my new tank set up 3 day's ago. It's a 77 gallon bowfront tank with pine stand, and home made pine canopy :D !! The tank measures 4 feet 3 inches (51") long, 2 feet (24") high, the width is differen in the middle and the sides because of the bow front. The width for the sides is 1 foot 1 inch (13") and the middle of the tank is 1 foot 6 inches (18").
Here's a full tank picture: (note the home made canopy) :D

Full tank shot doors open:

Side shot of tank:

----
----
I did my own lighting set up as well, I have 2 x 175 watt MH bulds and 4 x 65 watt pc bulbs, there is also a mirror metal sheet on the top inside top of the canopy to reflect the light! this is all cooled by a fan.
Here is a picture of the lighting system 8) (fan behind the lights, and mirror sheet on top)

----
----
For filtration i will be running 1 rena xp 4 (good for 265 gallon tank) or 2 rean xp 3's (good for 175 gallon tank's) not shour yet.. but for now i have a AquaClear 500 (good for 100 gallon tanks) and i have 2 Power Sweep power heads (will be getting 2 power heads that have 500 gph flow rate) :fun: (also not shour what skimmer to get)
----
----
I hope to get about 60 pounds of live sand, and at least 80 pounds of live rock! but that will all come much later... got to let this baby cycle first... :S

What do you guys think?

Wait so you have 500gph currently running and your getting two more or you only have 500gph running? If so, then you will need to get more current flowing in there. There are some good ones you can get like Seio's, I think there might be a model that gets 900gph or more somewheres around there, you will need two of those.Around 1560gph needed for your tank. Looks like a good start! What are you planning to put in it?

ok thanks man i'll check into thoes power heads!..the one's i was looking at would give me a total of about 1000 ghp in flow..the flow rate i have now is mabye like 500 ghp not the best..but i just can't afford new power heads yet..

And what am i going to put in it?? I want lots of corals in there with my new lighting!..but i don't know about fish? the tank will be a Reef Tank!

Looks great. I agree, more flowrate is needed. Also, I wouldnt bother with external filters as LR does all that work for you ;). I might have a single small HOB if you want to run carbon or phosphate binder, but not as filtration, thats what LR is fore.

One problem I see with your design, you dont have reflectors on your halides (other than the mirrored top) so you're going to spill a lot of light out of the back of the hood on-to your wall where it wont do you much good ;) Great carpentry work though :good:

what do you mean by reflecters?

the only proble with closing in the back is the mh bulbs get to hot..even with the fan on.. the only thing i was think of doing was half covering in the back (as you said there is ALOT of light that comes out the back!)

ya i was prity impresed with my carpentry work as well..haha i only did my grad 12 shop class last year (but i got a 95 in the class :hey: ) lol!!

Somethin like this extends down past the side of the bulb and angles most light down :)

ohhhh! ok..ya that makes alot more sence! hah thanks soo much i'am going to go see what i can find to do that for me! something like that could it be found at a hardwere store of fish shop only?

:thanks:

Billy

Thats pretty much a fish shop, hydroponics plant grow shop, or online. since I assume you're a US resident (being that you're still awake) check out hellolights.com

well your close..i'am form canada..but i'am usually up late most nights.. but ya the sight looks great..i'am going to check into ordering off of it!

thanks

Billy

Ah, canadian. Might want to PM lynden and ask him if he knows where to get halide reflectors.

I call one of my LFS and one of my good friends is the owner..anywyas i asked him about the reflectors and he said he could get me them in for $30.00 each.. good price?

insted of buying them could i make one? like out of aluminum sheet?

or am i just better off buying the 2 reflectors?

thanks!

ok! ya i wasn't shour if that was a good price for them or not.. but i'am not shour what reflectors he can get me in?? they might not be the same as the pic you gave me

thanks

billy

went out tonight and got 2 reflectors..there not at all like the ones I saw pictures of but they will do the trick, and keep my light form comming out the back of my canopy! Sory..but I don't have pictures yet..but i'll get some when they get put on the canopy

Got about 20 pounds of LS and 30 pounds of Agronite sand today! :D but it's soo cloudy now so i'll get a picture tomoro.

Billy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back