Starting A Dropsy Treatment

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

In mammals, we base the standards for "when it is time to euthanize" by first considering the prognosis, then by considering the quality of life. When an animal can no longer do two of its three favorite activities (ie. eating, playing, etc.), and the prognosis shows minimal chances of recovery, euthanasia is typically the choice.
In fish, it is a little tougher; there is no vet to tell you the true prognosis, and most fish essentially swim and eat, which makes it harder to come to a decision. Now, I'll be honest - if anti-biotics haven't helped by now, there is a better chance of this being a symptom of organ failure rather than a disease state. So if you wish to do clove oil, this is how I personally do it. There are many methods out there, but all I know is this; some people had very bad experiences with clove oil failing to kill quickly. With my method, I've never had a fish struggle for more than a couple of seconds.

- Scoop the afflicted fish into a small container, no bigger than what a betta might come in at the pet store, filled 1/3-1/2 with water from the tank.
- In another comparably sized container, get an equal amount of water from the tank.
- Using the clove oil intended for dental pain found at health stores, NOT the scented oil found in craft stores, empty 1/4-1/2 the bottle into the cup with no fish in it. You can kill with just a few drops per gallon, but this make take as long as an hour. And the way I see it, if you want the fish to die quickly and with minimal pain, why not just spend the $8 on a fast euthanasia and buy more if needed in the future?
- Once the clove oil is in the water, shake the container vigorously to diffuse the clove oil. The water should turn cloudy and yellowish if well mixed.
- Pour the mixed solution into the container with the fish and snap the lid on. When used in the right concentration, clove oil stops gill movement within seconds; most fish in my experience can barely circle the cup once before going still.
- Do not remove the fish until the eyes cloud, the slime coat starts to shed, and the color has faded. This is a definate sign that it is dead. If desired, you can destroy the brain at this point for extra surety.

Some people do not think the clove oil method has been proven painless. Some say it only paralyzes, and the fish may be aware and in pain. However, when you consider the fact that the chemical in clove oil is used to numb dental pain in humans, and used to anesthatize fish during surgeries, I believe it is not entirely unreasonable to think that it provides anesthesia and analgesia. If you are not confident with the lack of concrete scientific proof, however, you can kill a fish very quickly by completely smashing the skull and brain in one strong, well-placed blow. You could also decapitate and destroy the brian, or destroy the brain with a pin, but I personally think obliterating everything is quickest and most effective.

Sorry to hear the little gal isn't doing so well... best of luck in whatever you choose.

I'm sorry, jfeld. I doubt you can get better help with this sort of thing than Random.

It is an exhausting experience. Take a break when it is over if you can and recharge. We all know what you have gone through.

BTW, I moved Miss Kinky back to the desk where it is colder and darker. But she was up right away this morning for her kibble (just kidding--it was Atison's Betta Pro.) Ya just never know. I didn't change anything but her location. Ya win some and lose some. Hopefully this one is a win.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back