spotted puffer's friends

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Jeebz

Reaction score
I have a 20g long setup, with sand substrate, lots of rocks and few plants.
I was wondering what fish, if any the spotted puffer will not attack. I have found that he does not care about my zebra danios that i put in or my banjo catfish. Although he did care about my dwarf frogs and black ruby barbs, he killed them. He tried attacking my pleco but i stoped him. He doesnt chase my ghost shrimp either. I am thinking about trying some khuli loaches, any other suggestions???

Hi Jeebz

When you say Spotted puffer, do you mean Green spotted puffer? or is it a Dwarf puffer (like the ones in the end pics in my signature). If it is a GSP it will have to be moved into brackish water as it matures (I'm assuming it is still small).

As far as tankmates, your Danio's may be fast enough to be Ok, and the Banjo will be ignored because he looks like a dead leaf and never moves around (If the puffer is a dwarf I would be careful with Banjo boy, when he gets bigger he might try to eat the puffer when it's sleeping) but I would stay away from the Khulis, they would be too tempting of a target.
You could look for Otocinclus, they work well and are good algae eaters. Other than that it is hit and miss. I would look for fish that were non aggressive and fast, noctournal, or didn't move around much. Whatever you decide to go with you will need to be prepared to move them in a hurry if the puffers start to chew on them.

Most reactions

Back