spiny eels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

didz04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi

Not sure if i will get a response as not as active this section. But does anyone know if the small spiny eels get on with most community fish? Are there any special requirement for them. I know sand will be and tight hood. Also some tubes for them to hide in. Are they easy going fish to care for?

Thanks for the link. Has anyone had experience with them. I saw some at lfs shop with other community fish and they looked like they just do their own thing. Only looking into the smaller eels. There are different ones like the zigzag eel and peacock eel are they all the same in activeness and care? Which one would be advised to try for a beginner?

all the spiny eels are easy to care for once eating. Its the eating that is the issue. I have always found that if they do not eat frozen food then you will need either earth worms that wriggle or live bloodworm etc to get thm eating. Once they feed and settle in they thrive.
They are also decent predators and the their jaws extend a fair bit when they yawn and are capable of taking fish quite easily although if well fed they tend not to bother

Recently Bought a zig zag eel (3 weeks) have him in a 90 gal with an fx6 filter, light small rounded gravel, large pice of driftwood and some rocks from an aquarium only shop so should be good advice. Was eating bloodworms and carnivore pellets. Then went hiding would see him every other day, then he's curled up doesn't seem to be able to straighten out , I don't think he can eat like this as he doesn't appear to have much control over his body. I asked aquarium shop they haven't a clue , water test is fine. I'm not a newby to freshwater aquariums have 4 aquariums, (a 150, 70, 75, and this 90gal.) am a newbi to eels. His tank mates are 1 large common pleco (he 13 yr old adult) 3 bala sharks(babies) a baby dojo loach, no ghostknife (young)
lastly a baby fire eel. Right now the zig zag is young but bigger then the fire eel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Originality got these upon my teenage son request I quickly became a fan too! Would love to help the poor eel! Many thanks!
Mo

I would try young earth worms they usually cannot resist a wriggling worm and when I have had eels that don't eat these usually do the job. Angling shops sell them

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back