Space Travel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That is an interesting idea, but I believe scientists have mapped out our solar system pretty thouroughly.

But, in keeping an open mind: if we were to have a sister planet, mirroring our own orbital path, that would suggest that at least some of the other planets in our system would, too. There's been no indication of that & those other "sister planets" would be viewable from our vantage point.
You would think, and that is an interesting thought. Which of course with my limited intellect I can't answer. But I think my idea is sort of cute and has a warm fussy feeling about it.

@Colin_T came from the planet Ork. They have no covid on Ork. Just ask Mork (oh..you can't , he's dead.)

Last edited:
There's been an idea of another Earth on the opposite side of the sun to us for decades. Sadly, it was disproved by satellites and probes that have used the sun for a slingshot into the outer Solar System.
It was once thought that Mars was inhabited, especially when those 'canals' were viewed and Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote all about it. Sadly, this was all disproved by actually going there.
It was also thought that Venus shared a similar fate and ERB wrote all about that, too. Sadly...etc..
The latest science reports on Venus make interesting, but ultimately disappointing reading.
Around this particular star, it does appear that we are alone.
That said, the oceans remain largely unexplored and who's to say Pellucidar doesn't exist?*

It is likely that there is life, even what we might recognise as 'intelligent' life out there, but the problem isn't one of distance, but of time.
Our life form and subsequent civilisation has only existed within the merest blink of Time, which is truly vast. It will likely still be only a blink, when we are long extinct.
The chances of our 'blink' coinciding with that 'blink' of another intelligent life form are somewhat remote. However, given that stuff doesn't decay at a rapid rate in space, it is remotely possible that we might find remnants of extinct civilisations...and that brings forth all manner of interesting possibilities.

*Okay, I admit it...I like ERB. :p

There's been an idea of another Earth on the opposite side of the sun to us for decades. Sadly, it was disproved by satellites and probes that have used the sun for a slingshot into the outer Solar System.
It was once thought that Mars was inhabited, especially when those 'canals' were viewed and Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote all about it. Sadly, this was all disproved by actually going there.
It was also thought that Venus shared a similar fate and ERB wrote all about that, too. Sadly...etc..
The latest science reports on Venus make interesting, but ultimately disappointing reading.
Around this particular star, it does appear that we are alone.
That said, the oceans remain largely unexplored and who's to say Pellucidar doesn't exist?*

It is likely that there is life, even what we might recognise as 'intelligent' life out there, but the problem isn't one of distance, but of time.
Our life form and subsequent civilisation has only existed within the merest blink of Time, which is truly vast. It will likely still be only a blink, when we are long extinct.
The chances of our 'blink' coinciding with that 'blink' of another intelligent life form are somewhat remote. However, given that stuff doesn't decay at a rapid rate in space, it is remotely possible that we might find remnants of extinct civilisations...and that brings forth all manner of interesting possibilities.

*Okay, I admit it...I like ERB. :p
That is all BS you know there is another planet there and you are just playing devil's advocate.

That is all BS you know there is another planet there and you are just playing devil's advocate.
i agree that theres another planet out there, but i dont think it would be in our solar system. All the planets have to stay on the same side of the sun because of the gravitational force the planets and sun are making to suck us together.

i agree that theres another planet out there, but i dont think it would be in our solar system. All the planets have to stay on the same side of the sun because of the gravitational force the planets and sun are making to suck us together.
Why can't there be another planet on the other side of the sun just like earth. We would never see it. It would balance the forces of our planet. The radiation from the sun would be the same as what is reaching us therefore the life on that planet would be the same. If you go to another solar system, all the chemical and radiation will be different therefore the life forms would be unrecognizable. At least with my planet we would be able to talk to each other.

oh no what have i caused here??

sorry casuing all this wasnt my intention i was just stateing an upopular Oppinion
I wouldn't worry.
I did a quick scan of the thread, pages 1 - 40, between jobs.

Non-fish topics and opinions covered included;
  • Books, (Sherlock Holmes and Dickens)
  • Pets in General...with very little fishy-content.
  • Brexit.
  • The personal appearance of certain YouTubers and others.
  • Unboxing videos
  • American politics
  • 'Paperwork best delegated to peasants'.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back