South American Lungfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

darknirvana217

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have been interested in acquiring a lung fish, and stumbled upon these. I have read that they are very timid and can be kept around other fish, unlike the australian species. I was wondering if this true, or are they predatory. Also what size tank would be adequate for them. I know they get realtively large, several feet, but they are also very limber and are not very active. Any information on this species will be greatly appreciated.

The Australian variety eats any fish or shrimp that fits in its mouth. I guess the South American variety would do so as well.
Minimum size tank for an adult of the Aust. variety is a 6x2x2. They need really good water quality and frequent water changes otherwise they go downhill pretty quickly. The bigger tanks allow for a more stabile environment. Think along the lines of keeping the corals in a marine tank. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrates below 20ppm.

We have one in a 9ft tank, but that is not necessary. he is very placid, kept with spotted gars, longibarbis, knife fish, plecs etc
he is quite a boring fish to be honest, doesn`t do much other than try to get out the tank all the time.
Ours is 28" fully grown we think, and not that thick bodied compared to some.
eats well on main food like prawn, cockle, mussel etc.

Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to hold off on it for now after reading this. The one tank it could go in has some real delicate fish and knifefish that I just wouldn't trust the South American lungfish to be around.

I'm on my third SA lung fish, the first 2 both got out of their tanks and died :( They are great fish and comparable in temperment to the larger Pimeloid species, i.e if it fits in the mouth its food and if it doesnt then it gets ignored. In captivity they should reach around 3 feet but after the first 24 inches growth is fairly slow, they are more eel like than other lungfish species so ultimately a 8x3 foot print should be perfectly adequate.

Most reactions

Back