SOS, Help! I think my betta has Pop-eye.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Don’t use Melafix at any dose with Bettas. If it continues, I have had great success with giving Epsom salt baths (1 tsp to a gallon of water) 3 times a day. Keep fish in bath for 2 minutes each time. This helps pull fluid off the eye and makes fish more comfortable. I also treat with Kanaplex and Furan-2 as directed on package. Don’t let it go too long as it can cause blindness. Good luck!

Zebra Nerite snail. :)

So you don’t suggest adding any medicine? :/

Thanks you so much @Deanasue !!

Can it be any epsom salt? Or does it have to be specificity for fish? Also, how do you do a salt bath? :)

Thanks you so much @Deanasue !!

Can it be any epsom salt? Or does it have to be specificity for fish? Also, how do you do a salt bath? :)
Any Epsom salt is fine as long as pure Epsom salt with no fragrance added. To give a bath place 1 gallon of dechlorinated water at same temp as tankwater in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt and stir to dissolve. Place fish in for 2 minutes and then return it to tank. You can do this 3 times a day for 5 days. I know some will say not to move the fish in and out of it’s tank but sometimes it’s necessary for treatment. We have to look at the benefits in doing so. I have been very successful with this treatment. My large eyed goldfish have injured their eyes several times resulting in Popeye so I have become somewhat of a pro in treating it. Lol!

It sound like i should listen to you! Lol!

Btw, can I only do it once a day? It really stresses him out to move him back and forth, that many times. :/

I a,, just about to do one. I hope all goes well. :)

Here he is in his salt bath. :)

He is really staying still, is he alright? :/
image.jpg

I don’t like him lying on his side like that. Did you use the teaspoon of Epsom to a gallon of dechlorinated water? Did he continue to lay on his side? Is it the pic or are his scales raised?

Ooh wait, duh! You took that shot from the top didn’t you. It is normal for them to lay there. How’s he acting now?

Oh yes! Sorry, I should have told you it was a bird eye view. Lol! :lol:

He is doing great now! He was kind of lethargic after I put him in is tank, but he is swimming now! ;)

How long should I give him a salt bath for? And also, can I only do this once a day?:)

Only give it for 2 minutes at a time. You can try once a day and see if it helps. You may need to kick up to at least twice a day. Do what Colin said too. Keep the water super clean with big water changes until it clears up. Good luck and keep us posted! By the way, he has the same coloring as one of my bettas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    828.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Ok, so he is a little more active today!! But his eye is still poped (I think I caught this early on, which is a good thing! ;))! Here is a picture! :)

Also, he has this weird gray color under his chin, he did not have before, any ideas on what it is?
image.jpg

Ok, I’m always so worried about my fish! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back