finchfarm
Fish Fanatic
I have some silver dollars in a 75 gallon Amazonian biotope tank that have been breeding. I asked around here at the beginning of the year and asked if I was correct as to what my fish were doing and everyone said that they were breeding. Since then, I have witnessed them breeding several times but I have never seen them lay any eggs, nor have I ever found any eggs in the tank while searching or gravel vacing, ect.
It wasn't necessarily my goal when I got silver dollars to breed them, but I'm happy that they are, as to me its an indication that thier tank is up to standards where they feel comfortable to breed, however that I've never seen the female lay any eggs has me concerned. I've had these silver dollars for a year maximum (probably less) and they are about five inches long or so. Are they too little/young to successfully lay eggs?
There was a story that came across the new here a few months ago with drugs affecting the water system of the state I live in. I guess, according to water tests, there are traces of pain meds, birth control pills, and anti-depressives in the states public water systems (ie tap water) from people takeing old meds and apprently flushing them. The news story went on to say how this is affecting people in the state and that it is affecting animals too. One of the examples they gave is that they have found that many fish here can't produce offspring anymore because of the effects of the tainted water. I've always used treated (de-cholorinzed ect.) tap water for my tank. Could my fish be sterile?
Could it be something else? Any opinions would be wonderful.
It wasn't necessarily my goal when I got silver dollars to breed them, but I'm happy that they are, as to me its an indication that thier tank is up to standards where they feel comfortable to breed, however that I've never seen the female lay any eggs has me concerned. I've had these silver dollars for a year maximum (probably less) and they are about five inches long or so. Are they too little/young to successfully lay eggs?
There was a story that came across the new here a few months ago with drugs affecting the water system of the state I live in. I guess, according to water tests, there are traces of pain meds, birth control pills, and anti-depressives in the states public water systems (ie tap water) from people takeing old meds and apprently flushing them. The news story went on to say how this is affecting people in the state and that it is affecting animals too. One of the examples they gave is that they have found that many fish here can't produce offspring anymore because of the effects of the tainted water. I've always used treated (de-cholorinzed ect.) tap water for my tank. Could my fish be sterile?
Could it be something else? Any opinions would be wonderful.







