Something I've Been Picking Up On

The problem with alot of the pet stores such as pets at home where they dont specifically specialise in fish is that they tend to run all their tanks from 1 or 2 large filter systems so any problems with any of the tanks can then filter down to the other tanks causing wide spread diseases or not very healthy fish.

Your top dedicated fish stores that specialise in fish alone will obviously care more as that is their livelyhood and you'll find the set ups alot better in these stores.

Andy
 
Agree^^

They are running from a financial standpoint like Tolak said.

You get fish, they die, so you get more fish = LFS getting more of your money.

It is VERY rare to come along a fish store that will tell you about the cycling process.

Its all about getting the money that's in your pockets into theirs, not the well being of the fish unfortunately.

-FHM

Good point but I really think that most of them just don't know. I base this on my own experiences. Every where I have worked, I tell the customers the truth and not just what will sell the item. I still get paid the same even if the company doesn't make the same amount of money for that day. I never really cared about making the sale, just being truthful. Also, I went into my LFS and had an actual question and they had no idea. So I really think the workers there just don't know lol.
 
Another quick note lol...I just went to buy another filter, the Aqua Clear 50 and the guy told me that everyone who has bought one of those complain about high ammonia levels in the tank. In the instruction booklet though it says to replace the filter media every 1-2 months. That's probably why the high ammonia then because people follow those instructions and get rid of all their good bacteria. They really just have no idea.
 
Another quick note lol...I just went to buy another filter, the Aqua Clear 50 and the guy told me that everyone who has bought one of those complain about high ammonia levels in the tank. In the instruction booklet though it says to replace the filter media every 1-2 months. That's probably why the high ammonia then because people follow those instructions and get rid of all their good bacteria. They really just have no idea.
Wow, did you tell the person at your LFS about not changing the media unless it is physically falling apart?

-FHM
 
Another quick note lol...I just went to buy another filter, the Aqua Clear 50 and the guy told me that everyone who has bought one of those complain about high ammonia levels in the tank. In the instruction booklet though it says to replace the filter media every 1-2 months. That's probably why the high ammonia then because people follow those instructions and get rid of all their good bacteria. They really just have no idea.
Wow, did you tell the person at your LFS about not changing the media unless it is physically falling apart?

-FHM

Unfortunately not because I didn't read that in the booklet until after I got it home. I guess I should have realized at the time what could possibly cause the ammonia but it was weird that he said only the aqua clears have that problem. It might be the only filter though that actually says to replace the media every few months though. I'll have to tell him the next time I stop in there.

I guess the companies that actually make these products don't know about keeping fish either because they should know better than to suggest changing the media every month or so. Most of the time though, the people who make the products for us have never used them themselves.
 
Another quick note lol...I just went to buy another filter, the Aqua Clear 50 and the guy told me that everyone who has bought one of those complain about high ammonia levels in the tank. In the instruction booklet though it says to replace the filter media every 1-2 months. That's probably why the high ammonia then because people follow those instructions and get rid of all their good bacteria. They really just have no idea.
Wow, did you tell the person at your LFS about not changing the media unless it is physically falling apart?

-FHM

Unfortunately not because I didn't read that in the booklet until after I got it home. I guess I should have realized at the time what could possibly cause the ammonia but it was weird that he said only the aqua clears have that problem. It might be the only filter though that actually says to replace the media every few months though. I'll have to tell him the next time I stop in there.

I guess the companies that actually make these products don't know about keeping fish either because they should know better than to suggest changing the media every month or so. Most of the time though, the people who make the products for us have never used them themselves.
Well, if you have to buy new Aquaclear media every 1-2 months, then the Aquaclear company is going to make more money as well.

So, I think its just more than our LFS that want our money.

-FHM
 
Another quick note lol...I just went to buy another filter, the Aqua Clear 50 and the guy told me that everyone who has bought one of those complain about high ammonia levels in the tank. In the instruction booklet though it says to replace the filter media every 1-2 months. That's probably why the high ammonia then because people follow those instructions and get rid of all their good bacteria. They really just have no idea.
Wow, did you tell the person at your LFS about not changing the media unless it is physically falling apart?

-FHM

Unfortunately not because I didn't read that in the booklet until after I got it home. I guess I should have realized at the time what could possibly cause the ammonia but it was weird that he said only the aqua clears have that problem. It might be the only filter though that actually says to replace the media every few months though. I'll have to tell him the next time I stop in there.

I guess the companies that actually make these products don't know about keeping fish either because they should know better than to suggest changing the media every month or so. Most of the time though, the people who make the products for us have never used them themselves.
Well, if you have to buy new Aquaclear media every 1-2 months, then the Aquaclear company is going to make more money as well.

So, I think its just more than our LFS that want our money.

-FHM

Ya, I thought of that too that Aqua Clear wants to make more money by stating that but I still think it's mainly because the people just don't know. Like with every company, the people who design the products and usually send the planagrams to companies on how to display their product have never even used the products. They just sit at their desks and think up ideas. I know the companies want money but just from talking to people at my Local fish shops, it seems to me like they just don't have any idea lol.
 
Another quick note lol...I just went to buy another filter, the Aqua Clear 50 and the guy told me that everyone who has bought one of those complain about high ammonia levels in the tank. In the instruction booklet though it says to replace the filter media every 1-2 months. That's probably why the high ammonia then because people follow those instructions and get rid of all their good bacteria. They really just have no idea.
Wow, did you tell the person at your LFS about not changing the media unless it is physically falling apart?

-FHM

Unfortunately not because I didn't read that in the booklet until after I got it home. I guess I should have realized at the time what could possibly cause the ammonia but it was weird that he said only the aqua clears have that problem. It might be the only filter though that actually says to replace the media every few months though. I'll have to tell him the next time I stop in there.

I guess the companies that actually make these products don't know about keeping fish either because they should know better than to suggest changing the media every month or so. Most of the time though, the people who make the products for us have never used them themselves.
Well, if you have to buy new Aquaclear media every 1-2 months, then the Aquaclear company is going to make more money as well.

So, I think its just more than our LFS that want our money.

-FHM

Ya, I thought of that too that Aqua Clear wants to make more money by stating that but I still think it's mainly because the people just don't know. Like with every company, the people who design the products and usually send the planagrams to companies on how to display their product have never even used the products. They just sit at their desks and think up ideas. I know the companies want money but just from talking to people at my Local fish shops, it seems to me like they just don't have any idea lol.
Yeah, you are probably right, lol.

It really comes down to the employees at the LFS and their own personal experiences and knowledge about the hobby, and if they are willing to share their knowledge or not.

-FHM
 
The other aspect of all this you need to consider is the consumer.

True aquarium enthusiasts are not the norm.
Most people have in their mind 'expendable pet' when talking about fish. If it/they die they can simply get more.
It is viewed as needing less responsibilty than a dog or cat.
Therefore, the lfs staffs accordingly, no knowledge, no problem.
 
The other aspect of all this you need to consider is the consumer.

True aquarium enthusiasts are not the norm.
Most people have in their mind 'expendable pet' when talking about fish. If it/they die they can simply get more.
It is viewed as needing less responsibilty than a dog or cat.
Therefore, the lfs staffs accordingly, no knowledge, no problem.
See this thread!

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=285402

-FHM
 
I've been picking up on something too............

That is, that a lot of people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions and would prefer to shift the blame to someone else when things go wrong. I find it very disturbing to see that some people will go so far as to give up their rights to buy whatever they want, in favor of being interrogated by some fish shop employee and told what they can have.

It is not the responsibility of a store to see that you are happy with what you buy; you are expected to do a little research first and make an informed decision about whether or not a given item or creature is something that will work well for you.

The information about setting up a tank is usually correct too. It's the traditional way of beginning what we call a "fish in" cycle. It works well, but again, it's the responsibility of the individual to learn where to go from there.

There are very few other things you buy where you would expect the seller to walk you through everything involved. Would you buy a car and expect the dealer to teach you to drive? Would you buy a stove and expect the appliance salesman to teach you to cook? Why should a LFS be any different?

These days there is a wealth of information available online, in libraries, and from members of fish clubs. If you don't avail your self to it, it's no one's fault but your own.

Get real, everyone!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top