some questions about co2

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I am curious about co2 in planted aquarium. I don't plan to have one for the moment but maybe in the futur but anyway here are my 2 questions I can think about right now:
1.Where I live co2 is about 10$ for 1 pound so how much time does 1 pound last in a 50 gallon?

2. Is co2 only worth it if you have high light?

CO2 (carbon dioxide) is only worth using if you have a heavily planted tank with virtually no fish in, and the tank has heaps of light and heaps of fertiliser.

For most tanks, CO2 should not be used because it is bad for the fish, and there is heaps of CO2 in the atmosphere and in the aquarium water. The fish and filter bacteria produce CO2 continuously, and the plants produce it when it's dark.

CO2 (carbon dioxide) is only worth using if you have a heavily planted tank with virtually no fish in, and the tank has heaps of light and heaps of fertiliser.

For most tanks, CO2 should not be used because it is bad for the fish, and there is heaps of CO2 in the atmosphere and in the aquarium water. The fish and filter bacteria produce CO2 continuously, and the plants produce it when it's dark.
Ok good, then I guess it will just save me money by not having one

Colin is right on the mark here.

In planted tanks, light (intensity and duration) must be in balance with the required nutrients; the aim is to provide sufficient for the plants (which depends upon the species and numbers) but no more, or algae will take advantage. "Problem" algae in planted tanks is only due to the imbalance of light/nutrients.

Carbon (as CO2 usually, but in harder water some plants can use bicarbonates as easily) is one of 17 required nutrients. There is more CO2 being naturally produced in the average fish tank than many realize. Respiration of fish, plants and some bacteria does produce CO2, but most occurs from the breakdown of organics in the substrate.

The accumulation of CO2 from these natural sources is so considerable, it is possible to cause difficulty for fish respiration during the night. A few years ago I happened to be sitting in front of my then Corydoras tank which was a 70g with some 50 cories (and upper fish as well) and I noticed more rapid respiration from the cories than I was used to seeing during the day, and a few more surface breachings. I was fairly certain nothing was amiss, so I decided to adjust the filter return to create much more disturbance at the surface on the left side of the tank. Problem solved; next morning and subsquently, no respiration increases. Clearly there was a buildup of CO2 durinng the night, which the plants use during the day, but this showed just how much natural CO2 can occur.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back