Some Of These Fry..

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Congratulations, Wuv. Send him right on along. :lol:

Well, we will settle for pics---today.

:drool: :drool:

You do realise, of course, that describing him like that without the benefit of a picture is pretty much tantamount to putting pictures of double fudge brownies in dieting magasines, right? ;) :p

marble, hmm? I'm so glad I didn't buy one of those then. lol

What are the genetics of these fish again, Wuv?

marble, hmm? I'm so glad I didn't buy one of those then. lol

What are the genetics of these fish again, Wuv?

I can only go as far back as I know, but they come from very good lines. It all started with a pair of oranges bred by Ralph Tran, who is known for creating the lighter oranges and I was told they have a very sorted background including albinos. So I bred them and used one of my orange girls with a male I had picked up at a show from Straits Aquarium in Singapore.
So far...
redxorange PK
marbleXclear PK

The orange was basically a blank in the first generation. As for Straits fish....that's where the questionable genetics come in. Most breeders from overseas will mix in new fish every other generation, so nothing is really set in stone. I've seen marbles that are very similar to mine on Straits site.

IF I do have a yellow and red (which is my ultimate goal) it would only be the second I've heard of. I know that someone in the Australia club produced *one*, it had a lot of black on it as well. I feel that this line here would be the perfect combination to see it appear out of. I do have this one male, he's also a "clear" sibling to the marble boy and clear girl...but he's showing very light speckling of red now. I'm very tempted, and I have been for a while, to breed him with the clear girl. However I can't spawn any for the next two weeks as I have that show coming up and I will be unable to care for them that weekend so, that will have to wait.

ETA~ I can't even find Straits site now...? Does anybody have a link?
Also, here is a quick shot of the fish in question. He looks yellow on his head and down his body, and he has red on his ventrals with a small dot on his anal fin. He might not turn out to be yellow at all though, he could turn white. But he sure looks yellower than the others..
1hmm.jpg

So the short answer is that they're plakats. ;)

No, that's interesting. I learned a little. A little here a little there.

You have reasons to be proud. Go, Gf

What are the tail type/s? I mean I want to be able to run off the whole acronomic (huh?) list.

All PK now. Like I said, I can't tell ya how the others got to that point but since they've been with me the last couple generations it's PK all the way. I'd be quite surprised to see a long fnned fish pop out of there :S :lol:

I'll be proud when I get yellow and red on the same fish and I've done what they say can't be done. But even then I wouldn't be satisfied until I knew they bred true. So many generations- so little time. I'm gonna need another fish room :zz :p

Does he really look yellow to you though? I'm having a hard time over here because I think I might just being seeing it because I want to....? That's why I jarred him, in hopes he'd color up better/faster. I'll be happy to have someone else eyeball him in person. I plan to bring him up to the show with me one day so I can get everyone's opinion.

In that particular picture he looks kind of like lemon cream. I do definitely see the yellowing along his spine, and the rest of him looks sort of off white, like new butter. I'd have to see him in better lighting or for real to know for sure.

In that particular picture he looks kind of like lemon cream. I do definitely see the yellowing along his spine, and the rest of him looks sort of off white, like new butter. I'd have to see him in better lighting or for real to know for sure.
That's basically what I see too, and sometimes he looks yellower than others.But, he's not as yellow as the yellows in the grow out. Ahh well, a plakat doesn't reach their full potential until they're like 6 months old so I guess I have some waiting to do :zz

The agony of it :lol:

He does have the genes, though, right? You've got the yellowy hue and you've got the red. Even if he doesn't show it perfectly, he might pass it on better than he displays it :angel:

Ohhhh the pretty little fellow. He picked you Wuv.

He's such a little darling, yes he is.

I see yellow and some red on the ventrils.

Well, prouder when....

Get some sleep. He will grow some for you tonight. Yes, he will :nod:

I thought I'd bump this thread up to find out how the cheesecakes are doing! How long til one can come live at my house...?

Awww, I wish I could supply more detailed pics, but I still only have the one jarred (and boy has he changed a LOT!) This is what I see when I go to the tank....mass chaos!
0chaos.jpg

The pale/light/clear ones are those who show speckling of marbling just like Dad's. I think I probably should go ahead and jar those to make them color up. I just don't have the space for jars with all of these show fish leftover from the show hanging around. I need to clear house....again! :S

Most reactions

Back