Some fish aren't growing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishNewbie82912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a peacock cichlid tank. I didnā€™t know when purchasing but I ended up with what I think are a mix of males and females. Some fish donā€™t seem like theyā€™re growing at all. And Iā€™ve had them since this past March. And Iā€™m saying they havenā€™t grown like a centimeter even. Nothing. They all look like they eat when I feed. And I try to spread the food out so everyone can get some. Whatā€™s up with these fish? Is this normal?

How often do you do a water change and how much do you change?
Tank details would also help.

How often do you do a water change and how much do you change?
Tank details would also help.
I have 11 peacock cichlids. 5 rainbow fish. 2 clown Plecos. 2 Raphael catfish.

75 gallon
I add rift lake salt and buffer
Ph 8.4
Nitrates 20 (I have been feeding a lot more)
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Temp 80
I use prime and stability at changes. Stress coat occasionally for nipped fins.

I change 25-30 gallons every 2 weeks.

thats alot of stock!
Lol yes. I was told to over stock to ease aggression between cichlids. I had the rainbows from another smaller tank so they got moved up when I got the 75. I regret the Plecos and catfish as they just hide all the time. I sometimes forget I have them. Cool fish but kind of a waste of space. But I canā€™t get rid of a pet.

How long has the tank been set up? Params are all good?

You don't need the Stability, and you really don't need the Stress Coat...it contains aloe vera, which has no known benefits for fish, and may actually harm them

How long has the tank been set up? Params are all good?

You don't need the Stability, and you really don't need the Stress Coat...it contains aloe vera, which has no known benefits for fish, and may actually harm them
Oh good to know. The tank has been cycled since March. I got it in Feb. Took a couple weeks to cycle and a lot of headache but itā€™s been great since. I just donā€™t understand. Some fish are double in size already and some look so skinny and havenā€™t grown at all. But they do indeed all eat.

Oh good to know. The tank has been cycled since March. I got it in Feb. Took a couple weeks to cycle and a lot of headache but itā€™s been great since. I just donā€™t understand. Some fish are double in size already and some look so skinny and havenā€™t grown at all. But they do indeed all eat.
As long as water conditions are good and they eat well, I wouldn't fret over it...could be something like genetics, that you have no control over

I have a peacock cichlid tank. I didnā€™t know when purchasing but I ended up with what I think are a mix of males and females. Some fish donā€™t seem like theyā€™re growing at all. And Iā€™ve had them since this past March. And Iā€™m saying they havenā€™t grown like a centimeter even. Nothing. They all look like they eat when I feed. And I try to spread the food out so everyone can get some. Whatā€™s up with these fish? Is this normal?
You can't except fish to grow at lighting past speeds even in ideal conditions. Some fish takes years to get to their max size.

How big are they now? Pictures?

I have one in quarantine because his belly was so sunken. Itā€™s actually getting better. I would say he looks smaller than when I got him but he does eat. Theyā€™re all about 2-2.5 in which was size I got them in March.

Attachments

• EE70F0DF-1F13-4BD2-ADB9-74269F5D30D2.jpeg
    EE70F0DF-1F13-4BD2-ADB9-74269F5D30D2.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 495331CB-4B7E-4CB7-BCB9-9521A490C309.jpeg
    495331CB-4B7E-4CB7-BCB9-9521A490C309.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 9E3BE52C-7E80-4032-885A-EE925A479A7E.jpeg
    9E3BE52C-7E80-4032-885A-EE925A479A7E.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 8EDC588A-C2EA-454A-BFF4-F1F93E29AAE9.jpeg
    8EDC588A-C2EA-454A-BFF4-F1F93E29AAE9.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 76
Have you tried different foods?
Individual fish will have some preferences and you might get different results from flake, pellet, frozen, live food, etc..
I use omega one cichlid pellets and tetra cichlid color flakes. Iā€™ve also put in frozen blood worms a couple times which they devoured but I read may not be good for their digestion. I also threw in some of my bettaā€™s Flakes and pellets and they all loved that. I havenā€™t noticed any aversions to any foods. Iā€™m just wondering if these little guys get bullied out and canā€™t get enough. I donā€™t know how to ensure everyone gets enough. I have one fish I bought in July and it has doubled in size and colored up so nicely. A bright blue face and dark blue body appeared almost over night.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay
Back