Some Advice Would Be Appreciated.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

onebto

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am currently in the research stage of starting my first marine tank and have a few questions that I cannot find a definitive answer to even though I have done quite a bit of reading on the subjects, I do respect the input of this forum as I used it when I started keeping fresh water fish and have found I have always been given sage advice, so I would appreciate your help, I guess it would help to let you know what I am going to use for my tank. I have an old Juwel trigon 190 that was my first fresh water tank I am converting it as its been in storage and doing nothing for far too long, it does not have the filter box in it as I used an external canister filter on it so were that box was I am thinking I will put a Juwel protein skimmer in and I no longer have the old box so that poses the first question:

1. Juwel skimmer is that a good idea or not? Do you have a better suggestion as it would be appreciated I do like neat and compact thats why I was originally drawn to the Juwel?

I will be using Aragonite sand as a substrate (any better suggestions?) I am thinking a depth of 1.5 inches and I will be adding about 20 kilograms of live rock to the tank now so far my research has given me the impression that the live rock with sufficient power heads will supply my tank with the filtration it requires so here comes the second third and fourth questions

2. Am I correct in my supposition about live rock as a filter media?

3.  Is the volume of live rock sufficient?

4. Is it advisable to add an external filter canister to my set up as I cannot fit a sump in the base of the Juwel cabinet very easily due to how it is built and I am not really in a place where I want to drill my current tank and cabinet? Suggestions on a make and model for the process if recommended would be greatly appreciated especially one with a heater built in as it would save having another item in the tank?

At the moment my time line is looking like I will be setting up the tank in the early days of the new year and commencing cycling soon after I would like to start write now but I have lots to do including a list of Jobs that the good lady has given me in Lou of having a Marine tank
yes.gif
, I may well post a journal as I have enjoyed reading many of the members hear on the forum it will allow me to put my camera through its paces as it does not get enough use, currently my stocking wish list only runs to a pair of Ocellaris Clowns but there is plenty of time for that after cycling is complete.
I apologies if my questions appear stupid or simple but I am very methodical in my approach to life and keeping fish, I do not like doing anything without getting things set in my mind first and again I sincerely appreciate your thoughts on my questions I also apologies as I am sure these will not be the last.

Kindest regards onebto.

1. Juwel skimmer is that a good idea or not? Do you have a better suggestion as it would be appreciated I do like neat and compact thats why I was originally drawn to the Juwel?

A skimmer in general is a good idea for standard marine setups. I don't know anything about that specific one though.

I will be using Aragonite sand as a substrate (any better suggestions?) 

That's really the only thing to use in a marine tank; pretty important for the pH buffering factor. Some people use coarser aragonite substrates, but they trap debris more easily. Fairly fine-grained aragonite sand is the norm.

2. Am I correct in my supposition about live rock as a filter media?

Yes.

3.  Is the volume of live rock sufficient?

190L volume? 20kg is a good amount to start with for that. Depending on the exact pieces of rock you get (shape, density, etc.) you might end up adding some more later, but you should be fine starting with 20kg. 

4. Is it advisable to add an external filter canister to my set up as I cannot fit a sump in the base of the Juwel cabinet very easily due to how it is built and I am not really in a place where I want to drill my current tank and cabinet? 

If you can't or don't want to sump and need a place to stash chemical media like carbon and phosphate remover, a canister is fine for that. However, ideally they should be prefiltered (cover the intake with sponge or something) to stop the inside from silting up with stuff and they need to be maintained regularly as well - both the chambers of the canister as well as cleaning/replacing the prefilter. 

You can also do sumps without drilling. See here where it talks about overflows.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/228527-understanding-sumps/
In general, a sump is much more useful than a canister if you can accommodate one somewhere and if the floor will be ok with the extra weight.

I apologies if my questions appear stupid or simple but I am very methodical in my approach to life and keeping fish, I do not like doing anything without getting things set in my mind first and again I sincerely appreciate your thoughts on my questions I also apologies as I am sure these will not be the last.

Best way to do it.
good.gif
 No such thing as a stupid question.

So in the fresh water world the API fresh water test kit is a popular choice for testing your tanks water allthough as years have gone by I must admit I have been using the salifert test kits more and more.

what is the chosen choice of the salty's when it comes to testing water are there any popular favourites?

As for Refractometers for salinity testing currently I am looking at this one any thoughts? Refractometer

Blimey live rock is pricey stuff!!!! I am in the UK anyone got a good source at a good price they can put me onto?

As always advice is warmley welcomed and sincerely appreciated,

Regards onebto.

Most API kits for fw are the same reagents for sw, it's just a difference in color scales, for things like ammonia (the 2-bottle version), nitrite, nitrate, and high range pH. I gather others have gotten the scales pretty easily by contacting API. So, if you've already got the fw versions, you may as well use them during the early days.

What I've seen from other hobbyists is pretty much this pattern:
Quick and simple -> API (this is the camp I'm in)
Need to get an accurate reading, particularly at low levels -> Salifert, sometimes other brands
Need to test something less common like Mg, Str, Iodide, etc. -> Salifert, Red Sea, Seachem, etc. depending on who makes what and the price 

Salifert is supposed to be better for nitrate readings in particular, but whether you actually need that precision depends on the type of tank you've got and how well you know your system. Tanks where there is a lot of dosing of things going on usually benefit from more detail in testing, but the average FOWLR can be done just fine with pretty rough estimates.

There's not a lot of variation in refractometers as long as you've got one made for the hobby and not for some other purpose. My refractometer looks pretty much like the one you linked.

LR is expensive, but you don't have to get all live and definitely not all super high quality. Going all LR at the beginning is just the quickest and easiest approach. One thing you can do is get some dry rock and colonize it with some lower-quality (cheaper) LR. Then, if you want, you can boost the biodiversity with just a few bits of the more expensive stuff that's covered in critters. I put together a similarly-sized tank with mostly dry rock and only a few bits of live. It goes a lot slower that way but it's also a lot cheaper. 

Most reactions

trending

Back