Some Advice On My Rocks Please

stubedoo

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South West, England
Hi, I'm currently starting up my first aquarium (see link in signature), and I've been looking for decor to add to it. A couple of LFS have advised that rocks from a local freshwater source are just as good as anything. One shop admitted that their aquarium rock stock was just leftovers from the rocks for rockeries from the garden centre anyway.

So I've acquired some of my own rocks, give them a good scrubbing, poured vinegar over them, and let them stand in buckets of boiling water to remove any nasties. The thing is I know nothing about rocks, so I'm a little unsure if these rocks would be suitable for an aquarium. So I would appreciate if anyone would take a look at the picture below I've taken off them and give me some advice. Personally I think they are slate, but I'm probably wrong, and I'm a little worried about the orangey/black surface colour.

Any thoughts?

rock445yo0.jpg


(p.s. I have read the pinned topic in the FAQ section)
 
If they don't bubble or fizz in vinegar and they are very clean, they are fine to use. I'm no geologist so I have no clue what they are, but they are attractive rocks. If the orangey-brown stuff on the surface does not come off with serious scrubbing or with vinegar, it's unlikely that any of it will actually dissolve in your tank and cause problems. I've used volcanic rock from the creek in just about every tank I've ever had with no problems at all, so as long as it's clean I'd go ahead and use it. If there are any sharp edges and you intend keeping bottom feeders or cave dwellers, it might be a good idea to smooth any rough edges with sandpaper. If you can brush your finger over it without scratching yourself it's fine.
 
Correct that is Slate, and some nice pieces too :good:

The Goldy coloured surface is Iron Ore that has been exposed for a while and rusted. Should be harmless in freshwater tanks :good:

All the best
Rabbut
 
Very nice rugged looking rocks! Remind me of the rocks the japs use to decor their tanks
 
They are really nice pieces.

Could be alot better with abit of Riccia or Java Moss growing over it, like a ancient cliff etc.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top