Solenoid Woes

Primous

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I've just my co2 system back into use. And in short my solenoid is not switching off. It has done this before and then for some unexplained reason realigned itself and started to work again so I'm a little confused...

Is there a way to "test" the solenoid or kick it back into gear? Also since I may be in the market could you recommend a good solenoid for a not too high a price?

Thanks

I get this from time to time. Not sure what type of solenoid you have, but most are basically the same. There is usually a small orange diode inside the electrical section, which indicates that the solenoid is on. This will let you know there is power going to the unit. Assuming you have power, it is very likely that the valve is stuck. You can unscrew the base of the solenoid(4 small screws), and inside there is a small spool valve. Pull it out and give it a wipe with some light oil, or WD40, Then put it back together. 

If this doesn't solve it, it is likely a fault with the coil and you will need to replace the solenoid. Search the part number online, and you will find a supplier.

Hello,

I restore vintage (and modern) electronics and am very familiar with "problematic" electromechanical assemblies.

WD40 will work.. but can cause problems later.

A better lubricant for this sort of thing is silicon oil. A spray can of this is a couple of pounds or so on Ebay.
It doesn't "dry out", leave any viscous deposits or present any risk to the insulation on coil windings etc.. Good stuff!

As an example, it's perfect for lubricating the bearings (any type of) in computer fans..

Bodge99

Most reactions

Back