Sold To Me As Java Moss... Is It?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nosphaer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

I know I shouldn't have trouble with identifying java moss, and I'm gonna attempt a good scan of the stuff for ID. Anyhow, I went to a lovely LFS yesterday, and I picked up some plants - Crypt. Ciliata and Java Moss - since I just got my 10000k lamp. The java moss doesn't really have any single, main body... It's rather loose, and is like hundreds of green threads. They had tons of debris in them, which I hope my snails and shrimp can take care of until I vacuum.

All in all, I want to ask from previous plant owners... Is Java moss really just supposed to look like a bunch of green thread?

Almost, it looks like thin, dark green vermicelli, though not as smooth. The LFS' plant tank had it free-flowing, ranging from high to low, trapping any organic shrapnel that passed through it... Intriguing stuff, but I want to know what it is, and how to control it! ._.

Yes, that sounds like Java moss. Java moss is 'thready' whereas other mosses are more 'frondy', if that makes sense.

Tie it onto a bit of wood with plenty of thread (pull it really tightly so fish can't get caught under it) and trim it with scissors when it gets too long and untidy.

That makes sense! After some examination, I'm more certain about it being Java moss.

I'll try to tie it up, instead of keeping it wild.

java moss's leaves are really thin.
the only other moss it is likely to be is Xmas moss, which has little 'peardrop' shaped leaves.
very small differences, and not obvious at first.
both mosses are similar though, so its pretty much win win
:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back