So There Are Lots Of Killfish In 20G And Some Are Mating, Now What?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

anshuman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So somehow i have managed to raise absolutely beautiful batch of Notho Rachovii 98. Some of the males are really stunning and kind of like big bulls with humplike thing on their head when they challenge each other, some are small males (maybe they are still growing?).

Female to male ratio is not equal, LOTS of small females and just some 7-9 males.

I am now seeing the males push the females on the moss or dwarf sag, or some peat moss in tank (its just small patch here there) and kind of pin the female with their tail and with one whip i think they mate (i dont know ANYTHING about killi-mating-ritual) then i see small white dots furl up , which I THINK are eggs.

I am overloaded with work and job and I have enuf fun just maintaining this two tanks (goldfish and killifish) and watching them. And i DONT WANT TO BREED EGGS AND HATCH THEM for selling.

BUT i learned this killies are annuals. Now How should i plan on keeping this killies in the tank, for next year, i mean exactly how should i collect the eggs ( i have seen mop making videos on youtube for killies etc) on which time, so i refill my killies in tank next year if they perish (well that will be really sad but i have to face it).

NOTE:- I am extreme noob regarding killies. please feel free to correct me wherever i went wrong in my assumptions here. which i think are plenty. I have actually totally neglected the Notho eggs when they arrived (due to personal health related scare i had and some work related issues, (it was impulse buy) but still they grew nicely. It was sheer luck that I was actually breeding my goldfish eggs and had bbs around. and i think infusaria from javamoss fed the killies initially.

BTW if i am seeing the eggs (which i think) and they are in the tank, Will this eggs hatch? or will killies eat the eggs (like goldfish do) or do the eggs really have to go through dried weather like thing to start hatching and eyeing? or the eggs will just perish in water?

And another question. I had peat with eggs given to me by the breeder (ebay-thailand) and i have not managed to remove the peat at all, because no time, I dont know the technique and the killies hate me if i disturb water so i try to stay away. :( will this peat harm water by rotting? or its okay? its a small amount, like 3inch by 4 inch plastic pouch amount.

Some jottings I wrote previously for other members, there may be something in there that will help.

have bred many Nothobranchius species including rachovi Beira 98
Setup as follows.
12"x8"x8" tank will suffice for a well conditioned trio (1 Male : 2 Females)
Bare base tank with a jam-jar 1/2 filled with peat moss which has been well rinsed and aged (leave outside in a bucket and water replaced on a daily basis. use the moss that has becomed waterlogged and has sunk to the base of the bucket)
A small air driven sponge filter set to a trickle is also an advantage.
The water temperature should be set to around 75'F
These little beauties are very prolific and the peat should be harvested at weekly intervals, squeeze the water from it until it is about the consistancy of pipe tobacco. Then bag it, label it and store at around 72'f for between 6-9 months. A good tool to have is a strong magnifying glass. When the eggs are ready to hatch you will at first glance notice the fully formed eyes and a gold ring around the iris (use the magnifying glass) Eggs are very difficult to see but with a little practice they will become apparent.
The next stage is to wet the eggs, place the peat in a margarine tub and cover with about 2" of water at a temperature of around 72'F. The fry are very tiny upon hatching and require small infusoria for the first day or so before moving on to the usual newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms. They grow quickly being annuals and they should be sexually mature in around 6-8 weeks.
As with most annual killifish they do not take to flake or dried foodstuffs readily and frozen food is a poor substitute for Livefood which they relish. (Grindalworm, Whiteworm, Bloodworm & Fruitfly)
Life expectancy is around 14 months sometimes longer in the aquarium.
I hope this was of some help
Regards
BigC

The species in question is not from Thailand but rather from around Mozambique, Africa and is a true annual.
You sure have picked a hard member of the Genus to start with. Anyway with that said I will attempt to tell you how to raise this species.
From my own dealings with the species in question N. rachovi Beira 98. I lost quite a few batches of fry in the early days mostly through ignorance and stupidity, nowdays they are a doddle.
OK you will recieve the eggs in peat, on the bag there should be both a spawning date and a prospective hatching date. Rachovi eggs can take anywhere from 4-6 months to hatch as they go through different development stages whilst in the peat (diapause) As I said earlier they are true annuals, meaning that they lay their eggs in the bottom of the pool they are living in, the hot summer sun dries up the pools but the eggs remain viable until the raining season returns. During this time there may be a freak storm and some of the eggs will hatch and the pond will dry out once again, these fish fry will obviously die, but there will still be eggs in the mud, as not all will hatch at the same time which is natures way of preserving the species.
Ok when you get the eggs and have assertained a hatching date (if he's selling them, then I would expect that they are pretty close to hatching, maybe no more than a few weeks). First off I would check the peat for eggs, These will be difficult to spot amongst the peat at first, but should be amberish in colour. You should really get yourself a good magnifying glass from your local chemist or opticians. Looking through this at an egg you should be able to see the developing embryo, now the way I can tell if they are ready to hatch is look at the eye, around the iris (black part) you should be able to see a gold coloured, kind of ring. If that is present then they are ready or at least some will be ready. If you dont see this then I would personally place the peat in a clean fish bag, keep a little bit of air in the bag and tie the opening with a knot. Store in the dark at a nice warm constant temperature (hot press/ airing cupboard wraped in a blanket) anything where it is warm. The inside of the bag will condensate, thats fine. Check again for good signs of development as above in say a fortnight.
Phew!
If the eggs are ripe enough to hatch place you peat in a 1lb white (for visual purposes) ice-cream tub. float this in an aquarium and cover the peat in the tub with about 30mm of tank water of around 75'F. Some of the eggs will hatch almost immediately. The fry are really, really small, you wont believe how small these things are compared to guppy, platy young.
Right get another good size white margarine tub prepared and try to catch the fry using a syringe with a littl piece of airline attached carefully suck up the fry one by one and place in the new tub which incidentally should also contain the same depth of water from the same source.
The fry must be fed immediately. Given the size of these, the food stuff has to be very small indeed newly hatched brineshrimp are too large. Infusoria is the order of the day (see my pinned topic in the killifish section) Place some Salvinia natans or similar in the fry tub this will also provide some natural infusoria and place one drop of liquifry No1 for egglayers in there as well. Keep the fry tub spotlessly clean and add some extra water day by day as you go along (a few mm per day) After 2-3 days the fry can be offered newly hatched brineshrimp and you fears shold be almost over. Cleanliness is paramount with these, remove any uneaten food soon after feeding. Feed the fry 4 times per day, little and often. Also its a good idea to mix a few grains of cooking salt in the water to prevent velvet. Just a few grains mind.
Notho fry grow quickly with regular food and small waterchanges, they have to as their whole lifecycle only lasts 10-15 months.
Now your peat. All the fry that were going to hatch will have hatched in 2-3 days. Take your peat squeese the excess water out and lay it on a piece of kitchen towel. get its consistancy to something like pipe tobacco not too dry and not too wet. Rebag and store this as before for another fortnight. then repeat this process all over again. You may find that you have a higher hatch rate from your second wetting than the first. You can repeat this procedure 3-4 times if you like. I would normally have enough fry after 3.
N. rachovi fry grow quick as I said earlier, you may find you have skewed sex ratios in favour of males or vice versa. (par for the course) seperate the sexes as they become apparent also seperate according to size as Rachovi males are quite aggressive toward on another.
Now N. rachovi will rarely take dried foodstuffs, but I have had them take frozen bloodworm etc in the past. If you can make provisions for giving them live food then do so.
Culture you own (see pinned topic again in killifish section)
Starter cultures available from various sources on the net
Whiteworm, Grindalworm and Microworm. Fruitfly if you like but can be a bit awkward for some people.
I think I've covered just about everything there may be some holes here and there if so don't hesitate to ask if you have any problems.
Regards
BigC.

Thanks for the big reply Big_C :)

I actually knew this killies are not from thailand and they are from lakes of malawi, I even read the post by the researcher who found this Nothos Rachovii 98, I think i read that on aka.org.

I am re-reading the part on how to collect-date-store the eggs in dormancy for 6-9 months. I'm in process of ordering large amount of peat from usa, might take a month :(.

I have kindof self-learned how to hatch this eggs according to conditions at my place so I am good with that part.

Again precious post by your Big_C, Thanks a million.

And dont forge to take snap of those boobies, you can even pet them if you are calm and sneak up from behind.

Most reactions

Back