Snow?!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Skydz

Reaction score
Can u use melted snow for aquarium? is it the same as rainwater?

How can you tell it doesn't have somethibg nasty on it?? Just use tap water.

Yeah... dont go for the yellow snow ;)

Don't see why on earth you would want to use cold snow anyway when you have perfectly good access to water?

Maybe they want to make a snow man in there fish tank?

Yeah, it would take a lot of snow to melt down to have enough water to use; there's a lot of air in a snow drift.

We did actually have some people melt snow and test it a couple of years ago on another forum, and it has, oddly, quite high levels of ammonia; certainly over 0.5ppm for most people.

I suppose it depends where you live. If you live somewhere that snows a great deal then a lot of it will be above ground level and unless it has been trampled on would be clean... though... seems to me an awful lot of effort to bring in snow, melt it and temperature match. (That's me speaking as a Canadian. LOL)

I would assume the OP is trying to avoid their tap water for some reason, perhaps they have very hard water or high pH, and are using rainwater to keep sensitive fish, but don't want the expense of RO water.

If it is freshly fallen snow, collected in the same way as rain, I think it would be perfectly suitable. But, I would suggest testing it first for pH, ammonia, etc.

i was thinking of the same question as my tap water has plummeted to 4.5 ph so he might have a similar issue

WOW! That's low. If you are looking to keep cardinals, I think they like the water that acidic.

LOL

Noticed those commenting on snow are in the US... you probably have real snow though ;)

In the UK it is generally discusting and even at 2-3 inches of snow (which is a heavy snow fall for most of the country! :p ) I would reckon on there being a LOT of impurities in it,

Most reactions

Back