Snow White Ancistrus Problems . Relatively Urgent .

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That explains the problem then. Do another test now that you've done the water change, check the ammonia and nitrites are back to zero. If there is still a reading for either of them, then do another water change, 75%

That explains the problem then. Do another test now that you've done the water change, check the ammonia and nitrites are back to zero. If there is still a reading for either of them, then do another water change, 75%
Just did another test
ammonia is down to 0.05
Nirate 0.

Reckon a another water change just in case?
I might get another test kit for the aquarium . Not blaming the Kit as it wasn't good enough for me to allow that to happen .

Thanks for your help I guess that explains the redness on the fish .

Make sure you're not overfeeding the tank, and remove uneaten cucumber or any other uneaten food. Ammonia being that high the day after a water change is a bit concerning, but since it's a brand new tank that you just added fish to, that might be it.

Keep testing it daily and keep the feeding light while it's stabilising. Anytime you get a reading for ammonia and/or nitrites, or if the nitrates go above 20ppm, do a water change, and don't forget to clean the substrate. Basically, your tank is still cycling. The bacteria colony needs to grow large enough to handle the bioload of the fish you've added, and any uneaten food or rotting plants, so stay on top of water testing and water changes.

It's fine to feed things like cucumbers or courgette, but remove any that is uneaten in the morning if you put it in the night before.

Just did another test
ammonia is down to 0.05
Nirate 0.

Reckon a another water change just in case?
I might get another test kit for the aquarium . Not blaming the Kit as it wasn't good enough for me to allow that to happen .

Thanks for your help I guess that explains the redness on the fish .
Yes, do another 50% water change, hopefully that'll be enough to bring the ammonia back to zero. 0.5 ammonia isn't in the danger zone exactly, but since your tank is new and your fish is already struggling from the ammonia spike, we want to get it back to zero tonight, or it will be even higher by tomorrow morning.

Yes, do another 50% water change, hopefully that'll be enough to bring the ammonia back to zero. 0.5 ammonia isn't in the danger zone exactly, but since your tank is new and your fish is already struggling from the ammonia spike, we want to get it back to zero tonight, or it will be even higher by tomorrow morning.
Cant thank you enough . I feel very silly for putting my fish through that . If I get another spike in a day or so should I do a water change or will this limit the bacteria colony .

Thanks again

Cant thank you enough . I feel very silly for putting my fish through that . If I get another spike in a day or so should I do a water change or will this limit the bacteria colony .

Thanks again
Always water change if there is a reading for ammonia or nitrites. You have fish in there now, ammonia and nitrites are toxic to them, it burns their skin and gills.

The bacteria have enough ammonia to feed on while the ammonia is still too low for us to measure. By the time the ammonia or nitrite levels are high enough for us to detect using kits, it's too much ammonia for your bacterial colony to process, and your fish will suffer. Don't worry about feeding the bacteria anymore, you have the right bacteria in your tank now, the colonies will adjust themselves to handle the amount of bioload you have (provided you don't overfeed, or leave rotting plant matter or a dead fish, things like that can cause ammonia spikes), but you don't need to keep any level of ammonia in the tank for the bacteria's sake. If you can read ammonia or nitrites, they're too high.

Always water change if there is a reading for ammonia or nitrites. You have fish in there now, ammonia and nitrites are toxic to them, it burns their skin and gills.

The bacteria have enough ammonia to feed on while the ammonia is still too low for us to measure. By the time the ammonia or nitrite levels are high enough for us to detect using kits, it's too much ammonia for your bacterial colony to process, and your fish will suffer. Don't worry about feeding the bacteria anymore, you have the right bacteria in your tank now, the colonies will adjust themselves to handle the amount of bioload you have (provided you don't overfeed, or leave rotting plant matter or a dead fish, things like that can cause ammonia spikes), but you don't need to keep any level of ammonia in the tank for the bacteria's sake. If you can read ammonia or nitrites, they're too high.
Great advice I can't thank you enough . Almost felt like the click of someones finger and there was high levels of Ammonia . Hopefully all the fish will recover .

Great advice I can't thank you enough . Almost felt like the click of someones finger and there was high levels of Ammonia . Hopefully all the fish will recover .
I'm very glad I was able to help :) A first tank is always daunting, and getting the hang of the nitrogen cycle and the delicate time when you first add fish is tough, a lot of people struggle with it, so you're not alone. Fish keeping has a very steep initial learning curve.

Lets look at why the ammonia went so high so fast though, so we can try to minimise the chances of it spiking again.

Did you feed them quite a lot of food? When you put the cucumber in, how long was it in the tank for?

When did you do the water change yesterday, and how much did you change? Was it before or after the pleco started acting strangely and refused food?

Have you cleaned the filter at all? If so, what did you do to clean it?

I'm very glad I was able to help :) A first tank is always daunting, and getting the hang of the nitrogen cycle and the delicate time when you first add fish is tough, a lot of people struggle with it, so you're not alone. Fish keeping has a very steep initial learning curve.

Lets look at why the ammonia went so high so fast though, so we can try to minimise the chances of it spiking again.

Did you feed them quite a lot of food? When you put the cucumber in, how long was it in the tank for?

When did you do the water change yesterday, and how much did you change? Was it before or after the pleco started acting strangely and refused food?

Have you cleaned the filter at all? If so, what did you do to clean it?
Yes I understand how it can go wrong so quick .

I think my main problem was overfeeding I get afraid that my gouramis where not eating a lot . when I did overfeed I did suck out the extra fish food . I mad sure not to keep the cucumber in the tank for more than 1 day just incase there was no mould or evidence of rot.

Probably about a 40 % water change (bit odd know was scared to stress the fish .) yes I did the water change when I realised he wasn't eating just in case.

No I haven't yet cleaned the filter as I though after a couple of days I wouldn't . I have researched and it said every 4 months or so to replace it and very 3 weeks for cleaning with Aquarium water .

So I will learn not to overfeed. Possible underfeed then give them some more later on .

I have researched and it said every 4 months or so to replace it
What is the filter, and what is inside it? A lot of manufacturers tell you to change the media which means throwing away your bacteria. If you have sponge or ceramic noodles/beads, don't change them, just wash then in old tank water. They last for years.
Carbon cartridges are different. Tell us if that's what you have and we can suggest ways of customising the filter.

It is better not to clean the filter for six weeks to allow the bacteria to settle in but after that the media should be cleaned at least once a month, preferably once every 2 weeks by washing it in old tank water which you take out during a water change.

What is the filter, and what is inside it? A lot of manufacturers tell you to change the media which means throwing away your bacteria. If you have sponge or ceramic noodles/beads, don't change them, just wash then in old tank water. They last for years.
Carbon cartridges are different. Tell us if that's what you have and we can suggest ways of customising the filter.

It is better not to clean the filter for six weeks to allow the bacteria to settle in but after that the media should be cleaned at least once a month, preferably once every 2 weeks by washing it in old tank water which you take out during a water change.
It was a filter included in the tank( I know not the best but I was on a budget ). it currently uses sponge . Thinking of upgrading maybe in the future .
Ok so its probably best to not clean the filter .

Is the bacteria on the sponge or or the actual filter its self ?

Filter details : https://www.swelluk.com/aquael-asap...Ih4Mr_kYZHPPXVqlWnFt7Rq_J6LY0PCxoCS9kQAvD_BwE

Most reactions

trending

Back