April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

love4aquatic

Fish Addict
Reaction score
more bad news
OHIO:

-- it is unlawful for any person to possess, import, or sell live individuals of the following fish species (scientific names listed exactly as provided in code section) or hybrids of any such species at any given time:

1) walking catfish (Clarias batrachus),
2) diploid white amur or diploid grass carp (Ctenopharygodon idella),
3) silver carp -- white bream (Hypopthalmichtyhys molitirx),
4) black amur -- black carp (Mylopharyngodon piceus),
5) bighead carp -- bighead -- bighead amur (Aristichthys nobilis),
6) rufe (Gymnocephalus cernuus),
7) round goby (Neogobius melanostomus),
8) tubenose goby (Proterorhynus marmoratus),
9) snakeheads (Channa spp. and Parachanna spp.),
10) white perch (Morone America),
11) three spine stickleback (Culaeea aculeatus),
12) sea lamprey (Petromyzon marinus),
13) eastern banded killifish (Fundulus diaphanus diaphanus),

Souce: Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife regulations, Ohio Administrative Code (OAC) 1501:31-19-01(A).

Link to Ohio Aquaculture Law Digest (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)

Snakehead's are illegal in the usa because a few ruined it for other's by realising them into the wild, they are beautiful fish to keep, i have 12 different snakehead's plus lot's of fry, yes there very good jumper's....If you notice snakehead keeper's tank's the water level's are alot lower than normal tank's..there great escape artist's......

If you catch one in america your ment to kill it and NOT release it into the waterway's again, and don't try to keep it, if you get caught they will fine you alot of money.....

Just enjoy other people's pictures and video's.....if you like them try something like birchir's or spiney eel's thats as close as you will probally get

ps that video made me jump like a little kid :lol:

I have a little one of the one in the video

you can join here and marvel in everyones pictures and story's.....they are brilliant fish to keep
http://snakeheadsukforum.freeforums.org/uc...mp;folder=inbox

Snakehead's are illegal in the usa because a few ruined it for other's by realising them into the wild, they are beautiful fish to keep, i have 12 different snakehead's plus lot's of fry, yes there very good jumper's....If you notice snakehead keeper's tank's the water level's are alot lower than normal tank's..there great escape artist's......

If you catch one in america your ment to kill it and NOT release it into the waterway's again, and don't try to keep it, if you get caught they will fine you alot of money.....

Just enjoy other people's pictures and video's.....if you like them try something like birchir's or spiney eel's thats as close as you will probally get

ps that video made me jump like a little kid :lol:

I have a little one of the one in the video

you can join here and marvel in everyones pictures and story's.....they are brilliant fish to keep
[URL="http://"http://snakeheadsukforum.freeforums.org/uc...mp;folder=inbox""]http://snakeheadsukforum.freeforums.org/uc...mp;folder=inbox[/URL]

i have a reed fish kinda like a snake head but they are just amazing!!
my grandpa is a bassmaster nd he has caught 1 b4...he was going to slit its stomach and throw it back in!!!
i cut his line and he totally flipped at me....(i cannot see a fish be killed because of a humans mistake)

if i catch 1 i might risk getting fined.......... :shifty:

ps. that vid scared me 2...i wasnt ready!!

A) snakeheads are NOT illegal in all states.
B) If you want a fish thats very simular to a snakehead get a bowfin (Amia calva)

Now before theres a big hoo haaa about point A)see below

SUMMARY: The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service adds all species of
snakehead fishes in the Channidae family to the list of injurious fish,
mollusks, and crustaceans. By this action, the Service prohibits the
importation into or transportation between the continental United
States, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, the Commonwealth of Puerto
Rico, or any territory or possession of the United States. The best
available information indicates that this action is necessary to
protect wildlife and wildlife resources from the purposeful or
accidental introduction and subsequent establishment of snakehead
populations in ecosystems of the United States. Live snakehead fishes
or viable eggs can be imported only by permit for scientific, medical,
educational, or zoological purposes, or without a permit by Federal
agencies solely for their own use; permits will also be required for
the interstate transportation of live snakeheads or viable eggs
currently held in the United States, for scientific, medical,
educational, or zoological purposes. This final rule becomes effective
immediately upon publication.

LIL blonde girl summary of the above :Federal law only prohibits importation Into the United states,The district of Columbia and the commonwealth of puerto rico and transportation across state lines.Therefore If i live in a state ie. WI and there are no local ordinances against posession its legal for me to keep snakeheads as long as I purchase them localy ie within the state borders-Anne

Heres agreat example its was illegal to buy, sell or posess snakeheads in the city of Chicago before it was illegal to buy,sell or have in your posession in the state of Illinois

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back