Snakeheads in a lake

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

adeyc

Fish Herder
Reaction score
K on the news this morning there was something about the us government choking a lake to kill of all the snakeheads that are in it. Any of our American friends no any more info. They could have just caght the fish and sent them to me. lol

I haven't seen anything. I'll look around and see if I can find some more info

Faye

k' The only thing I found was a museum has them on display.

Faye

What...the dead fish?!!   Well, that's just wrong.   :p  :laugh:  :laugh:

Thats a mean lookin fishy......lol

It would fit right in in my collection lmfao :p :laugh: :laugh:

sand bagging the pond sounds like "choking the place" to me, Must be the article. pity non of the pics have a fully grown one unless thats a 3 foot paper.
Pete~ Your realy jelous now aren't you. lol :p :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

good point. I've got two Giant snakeheads but I rescued mine. it's the breeders to fault I suppose then greedy wholesalers, then on to ignorant lfs finaly to lazy peeps that don't reaserch the fish they want/got etc.
In the shops the fish are only an inch or 2 long and look fun.
The thing I hate is they tend to be sold as community fish( :laugh: :laugh: ) then as soon as they go in the tank the population decreases rather than rising by two. hence me spending a fortune on feederfish.
As for them adding the herbicides etc the only way to get rid of the fish out of the pond(safely) would be to net the pond and trawl. that way you keep the snake heads and the local fish can be thrown back. Failling that dynamite the place and collect everything that floats to the surface.

Well everyone, We get frightened as hell over here with some of these invaders. The Zebra mussel is the best example. Over the course of a few years, they have completely infested the great lakes. Sometimes you just have to use overkill to be certain. It is near a shopping center, so I am guessing the pond didn't even exist before development occurred. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see them restock the area after making sure the problem has been taken care of.

I was reading about them in one of Reg's links.
To me things like this are a result of either very stupid ignorant peeps, those that don't know and don't care. Or Animal right activists. Not all af them but the majority. they just want to set things free to be with nature as was intended, Doesn't matter if it's not the fish/animal etc's natural enviroment as long as it's free. They cause more harm to the natural ecosystem than anything else. then again someone has a bright idea that doesn't work. look at the Cain toad for example taken to somewhere to get rid of a bug. turns out the bug lived to high in the cain for it to reach and there was an abundant supply of food at a comfortable level, so the lttle bugger breads like a rabbit and encroages on the natural species territory eating everything in it's path till it's killed of all the natural species for miles.

We received the zebra mussel courtesy of an international freighter that dumped it's bilge water in one of the inland waterways instead of at sea. :grumpy:

Sorry, but what is "zebra mussel"?

My dictionary doesn't know word "mussel"  :D

EDIT. Actually the dictionary knows "mussel", but the user is stupid -> he is trying to find word "mussel" from finnish part  :0

Zebra is a type of clam, about the size of your fingernail. They are extremely fond of creating colonies on metal objects mostly. This is bad for the Lakeside communites with intake pipes for the water supply. Also bad at marinas for encrusting docks and pier structures where swimming children are at risk of cutting themselves as the colonies can be pretty sharp edged.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back