Snails To Control Algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tmoney7

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So i have a 10 gal tank with a HOB filter and 6 pygmy corys and i have always had an algae problem in my tank.  Its nothing serious like hair algae (although there is some BBA growing on my anubias nana) but it is just that green film all over the glass on my tank.  What i was wondering is if i could get some snails (have no idea what type) to maybe control this and clean it up because i hate having to go in there with a rag or something and wipe it off of the glass.  

So are there any types of snails i should get or should i even get snails! I know that some people don't like them because they may start to overpopulate but i think i would be fine with that and my LFS would most likely buy some of them back. 

Soooo... opinions!! :D

So i have a 10 gal tank with a HOB filter and 6 pygmy corys and i have always had an algae problem in my tank.  Its nothing serious like hair algae (although there is some BBA growing on my anubias nana) but it is just that green film all over the glass on my tank.  What i was wondering is if i could get some snails (have no idea what type) to maybe control this and clean it up because i hate having to go in there with a rag or something and wipe it off of the glass.  

So are there any types of snails i should get or should i even get snails! I know that some people don't like them because they may start to overpopulate but i think i would be fine with that and my LFS would most likely buy some of them back. 

Soooo... opinions!! 
biggrin.png

Snails are great for algae, not sure how many or what kind you should get though, I thought I read someone saying that different snails eat different algae..hmm D: I personally have 2-3 types in my tank, only one that I introduced :p They're great fun to watch.

Yeah i would love to have them as well but like you said don't know what kind to get ^_^

My first thought would be to find out why you are getting the algae in the first place.  Does your tank get any natural sunlight because when my tanks get the green algae on the glass, it is normally the ones that get some sunlight.   I would go with ramshorns or mystery snails to clean the tank walls if you are wanting some snails to help keep it down.

If the green algae on the glass appears to be in spots it's probably Green Spot Algae and one of the only snails that eat that stuff are Nerite Snails.  I have (2) in (2) different tanks that have high lighting and GSA has been a problem.  Those tanks are in a room where they get some daylight from windows as well as the lights are probably on too long.

Maybe just try cutting down the time the lights are on or try some Nerite Snails, or a combination of both.

Yeah the algae is not just in spots on my glass it covers my whole side and some of the back of my tank literally covering the whole thing, so i will see if my LFS has any of these snails and hopefully get some!

Also the snails just live off of the algae and droppings at the bottom right? or is there some kind of food i don't know about :p

Go with Nerite Snails.  They live off of algae on the walls as well as left over food.  They also don't breed in normal freshwater aquariums because they need salt.  They also have cool colors! 
happy.png

Nerites are probably your best option.

Depending on how many you get and how fast they eat the algae, you may want to also give them algae wafers or they might starve.

OKAY! i am going to fish store right now and they said they have nerite snails and mystery but i will be getting nerite :)

xKNYx said:
Go with Nerite Snails.  They live off of algae on the walls as well as left over food.  They also don't breed in normal freshwater aquariums because they need salt.  They also have cool colors! 
happy.png

True, Netrite snails need salt to reproduce. 
yes.gif

Mystery snails are more fun to watch though, they also eat some algae as well as leftover food,plus they tend to look more interesting while doing  it.  The Netrites don't really come out of the shell as much.

Clown pleco or bn pleco would be your best bet.  Snails do work but you would have to have so many...

Not sure on the clown but a bn is too big for a 10 gal tank.
Agreed that mystery snails are more fun to watch. I think I spent an hour today watching mine <__<

draxis said:
Clown pleco or bn pleco would be your best bet.  Snails do work but you would have to have so many...

Plecos need at least 20 gallons and that is for the small ones like clowns and bn.

draxis said:
plecos arent really good algae eaters as they make waste twice as much as they eat algae, i agree with nerite snails.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back