Snail Trouble

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FooFeeMeo

Reaction score
Iv had my tank for about 4-5 months now, and the cycling has been very moderate. All of my fish are doing great, but iv noticed that my snail isnt doing to good. Sometimes I find hims just floating at the top of my tank, other times hes laying upside down at the bottom of my tank. I hardly ever see him cruising on the sides of the tank either :(. Could it be my tank is too cold (it just teeters at being on the safety line and being to cold)? Or maybe hes just old? If you have any idea to how I can help him, please lemme hear it!

-Nicole

What kind of snail is it? How big is it? What exactly is the temperature? What are the other water params? Any other signs of sickness in the tank? How big is the tank and what are the fish-mates in with the snail?

Well, I believe he is an Apple Snail, and hes about the size of a medium acorn. None of my other fish are sick, or have shown signs of being sick. The temperature is usually at 70ish degrees. Its true that I havnt been feeding him cucumber or anything, but he does have flakes that go to the bottom of the tank, and when he used to come up to the top id feed him. So anyways... any help?

-Nicole

They need more than flakes and algae on glass to sustain them. Buy some wafers, algae wafers are best as they have a lot of good additions in them besides algae and if you have soft water, get it harder. Around 7.3-7.5 should be good. They need it to help properly grow their shells.

Try adding some chalk to the water. The snails will actually eat it and it will help grow their shell. Other params sound fine. I hope you didn't get a paracite. Try Teelie's suggestions. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back