Snail Shell Corroding

GetItSahn

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 26, 2013
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
US
In my 29 gallon tank I have noticed that my MTS have begun to develop holes in their shells. It's not just a perfect circle in their shell but it starts from the tip of the shell and begins to look like it corrodes and on my larger, older snails a good part of the shell tip is missing but they are still living. (also, when a snail dies, the remaining shell seems to decompose quite fast)
 
Is this attributed to PH? Is there a substance I can add to revert these effects. If it matters, I have a piece of mopani wood in my tank.
 
What is your pH?
 
Have you tried adding a piece of cuttlebone to see if that helps their shells?
 
Hasn't been tested in over a week but 7.0 at least test
 
Sounds like you have soft water.  Snails need a harder water for their shells.  I have really soft water and see this sort of thing on all my snails unfortunately.  I suggest adding a cuttle bone, some crushed coral, calcium supplements (like TUMS - any flavor but mint), and feeding foods with added calcium.
 
Wildbetta said:
Sounds like you have soft water.  Snails need a harder water for their shells.  I have really soft water and see this sort of thing on all my snails unfortunately.  I suggest adding a cuttle bone, some crushed coral, calcium supplements (like TUMS - any flavor but mint), and feeding foods with added calcium.
I also keep parakeets, I give them cuttlebone. Do you think I could use the same kind?
 
is there a pure kind of cuttlebone without additives because I read some cuttlebone for birds will have special chemicals in it
 
Not sure :unsure:
 
I was always told to just use the bird ones but I'm not sure :/ sorry.
 
Crushed coral in the filter is another way to add minerals to the water which will benefit the snail!
 
Meeresstille said:
Crushed coral in the filter is another way to add minerals to the water which will benefit the snail!
Could this be found at a chain like PetSmart
 

Most reactions

Back
Top