SNAIL PROBLEM

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

SaFyQ448

Reaction score
Ok, I recently went away for a vacation and came home to a ton of baby trumpet snails. I got a trumpet snail with my plants and I decided to just let it be... omg why did I do that.
I need something to eat the babies. I looked up loaches and I think I want yoyo loaches. I also have a hairgrass problem. Which apparently is shrimp.
I have a 37 gallon tank with 4 corys and 1 bristlenose. Will it be OK to add like 6 yoyo loaches? And can I even add shrimp with the pleco?

First bit of advice, never acquire a fish to solve a problem. This is not a problem anyway, but the caution on acquiring fish (or any critter) is significant.

YoYo Loaches are not all that efficient at eating snails. Few loaches actually are. But given the size of most loaches, and their need for a decent number or they will be stressed...not a good idea, Loaches and Corydoras also should never be combined.

And, since you mention trumpet snails, or Malasian Live Bearing snails, also sometimes called horn of plenty snails...these are rarely affected by loaches because of the snail's "trap door" as it has been called. The snails will just burrow into the substrate and come out at night.

These snails are actually your best helpmate in getting where you cannot and eating organics, breaking it down faster for the waste bacteria. Their reproduction will match the available food. If there are a lot of them, it is because they are finding food. Control is best achieved by the aquarist. Baiting them with a slice of vegetable during the night and removing them in the early morning. But do not flush them or toss them anywhere near water. They can upset the natural ecosystem and cause the extermination of natural fauna.

Hello. Looks like it may be time to get the iceberg lettuce out of the refrigerator and into the fish tank. Just drop a couple of leaves into the tank. Let the leaves float in the tank for 24 hours. A snail can't pass up a free lettuce lunch. Just remove the leaves and toss them into your garden, snails and all. Keep putting the lettuce into the tank until you have the number of snails you want.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

You could get some assassin snails....they hunt down pest snails and then eat them, just leaving the shells.

Welcome to snail hell, where all about you are Malaysian trumpet snails. Look at them, they are everywhere. Yes they are EVERYWHERE.

Where's our nuclear bomb emoji for snail tanks?

Hello again. The snail population is actually very helpful. If you have too many, it tells you that you're feeding the fish too much. The fish aren't eating everything and some food is settling to the bottom of the tank. Too many snails will add to the amount of waste material in the water and that can upset the water chemistry. While you're dealing with the snail problem, you may want to increase the amount of water you change and change the water a bit more often. You can always go to the old wooden spoon means of reducing the snail population. Just use the spoon to crush the shells and the fish will clean up the body parts. The crushed shells will dissolve in the tank water.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Welcome to snail hell, where all about you are Malaysian trumpet snails. Look at them, they are everywhere. Yes they are EVERYWHERE.

Where's our nuclear bomb emoji for snail tanks?
I'm thinking of adding some to my tank lol.

Most reactions

Back