Snail Problem!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pinkdolphin_113

Sinclair Aquatic Systems
Reaction score
i am over run with trumpet snails to the maximum!!
i put some cucumber in the tank, and took out a trillion and something...but they're ALL back again!!
i only started off with 3!!

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

whats the best loach to use which would solve my problem?
it doesn't matter how big it gets as it will only be a short term keep.
i will also be placing cucumber and zuccini slices in the tank.

thanks,

pink.

How big is your tank? Loach need to be kept in groups. You should look up Assasin snails as they do a great job on trumpets.

If your from england then should'nt you say courgette.

I have Zebra and Queen Loaches and the only snails they leave are the trumpets, but everything else vanishes within minutes.

They're really hard to squish as well!!! I had to use a hammer and then fed them to the fish, that way they all got some, not just the loaches.

Looks like Assassins are the only way to go.

lol i really doubt assassin snails would make their way anywhere near me...so i dont think they are an option :sly:

i guess i'm just going to have to carry on with the cucumber and courgette slices lol i al taking the biggest ones i find and am putting them in my smaller tank as i've had to start it from scratch due to crappy liquifry food :angry: this way they will give me a use lol CYCLING!! :fun:

thanks,

pink.

lol i really doubt assassin snails would make their way anywhere near me...so i dont think they are an option :sly:

i guess i'm just going to have to carry on with the cucumber and courgette slices lol i al taking the biggest ones i find and am putting them in my smaller tank as i've had to start it from scratch due to crappy liquifry food :angry: this way they will give me a use lol CYCLING!! :fun:

thanks,

pink.

There are assasin snails for sale on eBay or speak to your lfs they could get some in for you, have you tried selling the trumpets on eBay? Or you could always post them to me and i'll feed them to my clown school!!!

Why not offer to post the snails to others on this site if they send you an SAE (Envelope not Algae eater!!)

There are always people on the lookout for them.

I am quite happy with my population of them they don't seem to overbreed and do a good job of turning the gravel over.

I have a couple of new tanks I am firing up at the moment and will harvest a few from my other tanks to put in there.

StatMan

Loaches will work. Botia kubotai are awesome, peaceful, will not harm plants or shrimp. They're a bit shy compared to yo-yo's but again, the kubotai won't disturb your gravel or plants. Kubotai are also the most beautiful. If the trumpet snail are too big, it's true that the kubotai might not be able to eat them, but the loaches will surely eat all the babies!! Eventually, the big ones will die. If you smash the big ones, the kubotai will gladly suck snails out of the broken shells.
If you have room, get 4 of them, you won't be sorry!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back