Snail ID

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ambush0908

Reaction score
I have recently gotten some new plants in my 75 gal tank. I have noticed some snails which I am assuming hitchhiked in. I have seen some threads with some varying views. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0590.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    500.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    696.4 KB · Views: 149
In my opinion, no planted tank is complete without snails. They will show up unbidden, and they mean no harm. Many are beneficial by eating the dead plant material and cleaning up uneaten food and algae. Looks like you have the ever so common bladder snail. I have them in my tanks too, and they make lots of babies really quickly. Keeping their numbers in check is all you can do at this point. Just make sure you aren't over feeding your fish and they shouldn't get too out of control. You can always add some assassin snails but they will also breed.

In my opinion, no planted tank is complete without snails. They will show up unbidden, and they mean no harm. Many are beneficial by eating the dead plant material and cleaning up uneaten food and algae. Looks like you have the ever so common bladder snail. I have them in my tanks too, and they make lots of babies really quickly. Keeping their numbers in check is all you can do at this point. Just make sure you aren't over feeding your fish and they shouldn't get too out of control. You can always add some assassin snails but they will also breed.
Thanks,

Most reactions

trending

Back