Snail Eaters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sadness child

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 46 gallon tank with Bolivian ram, 20 BPT, and 12 Danios and I was wondering what would eat all of the small snails that have breed in my tank

It is never a good idea to buy fish just to solve a problem.

Snails are not a bad thing, they are an important past of the tank's ecosytem. Irt's when there are too many of them that it becomes a problem. The usual cause of this is over feeding the fish.Cutting down on the amount of food should reduce the snail population.

There are non-fish things you can try.
Find a glass jar with a screw lid and punch holes in the lid from outside. The holes should be big enough for the snails to get through but too small for the fish to get through. Place a piece of lettuce in the jar and put it in the tank last thing in the evening. The theory is that the snails will go in the jar to eat the lettuce but won't be able to get back out because of the spikes made when you punched the holes. Just empty the jar in the morning.
Or, if the place you live allows them, get some assassin snails. They breed much more slowly so won't be a problem.

Uh oh wrong thread - thought you were posting recipes ;)

@essjay is right. They are a healthy part of the ecosystem and if there is less for them to eat their numbers go down. This includes feeding less and making sure you do regular water changes and gravel vacs. You can either trap them as suggested or just spend 5 minutes every evening picking out any you see until the level gets down to what you are comfortable with. What type of snails are they - post a pic if you don't know, somebody will.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back