Snail Eaters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rarefish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am very overpopulated with snails. What is a smaller fish that I could put in a 20-gallon or 29-gallon that will "snack" on my planorbid snails? I don't like the idea of killing the snails, but I really cannot keep as many as I have (2000+). Mods feel free to move this- I didn't know where to put it!

rarefish

If you haven nothing else (fish or invert wise) in there now, and have no plans for the tank you could go for some dwarf (AKA pygmy) puffers in there. Or one of the larger species like red eyed puffers etc. They will eat snails like mad.

Pakastani(YoYo) Loaches?

:good: sorted out my snail problem very effectively, great fish and very very active (although can be a bit too boistrus for more sedate mambers of a community tank)

ok puffer fish are generally speaking a babd idea unless your going to give them a tank on there own, best sticking to the smaller loach species

what are the actual dimentions of the tank as 29 gallons could be a really tal hexagon for all we know? but for now ill agree with the loach suggestions above :good:

I am wanting a community tank, so pufferfish probably wouldn't work so well! My 29-gallon is just the "regular" rectangular type, but I would have to measure it to tell you the dimensions. Would yoyo loaches work well with dwarf gouramis and tetras? That's what I'm thinking about for my tank. Would regular aquarium gravel be ok for the loaches, or would I have to switch to sand? Do they eat a similiar diet to corydorus catfish? I have been in the "breeding-business" for so long that I just want a community tank to look at :). Thanks everyone!

rarefish

Here is what I was thinking for the 29-gallon:

3 YoYo Loaches
3 Dwarf Gouramis
6 Neon Tetras

I'm wanting a community tank but at the same time I want to get rid of the snails! Will this work? Thanks ahead!

rarefish

yoyo loaches can attain 8+ inches so not for your tank.
I suggest botia robusta, botia dario, botia histrionica, botia kubotai botia striata or Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki

I second the Botia Kubotia or Angelicus loach idea. Don't grow to large, max of around 6 inches. But look fairly long, slender and robust. They will take care of snail problems and are a gorgeous addition to any tank. Look similar to yo-yo loaches but are definately more pretty and have amazing patterns. ANd best of all they are much more common than the other loaches the wolf mentioned.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back