Smallest Tank Size For An Adult Size Flowerhorn?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

azotemia

Reaction score
can i get away with a 20 gallon just by putting the flowerhorn by itself? if not, whats the minimum that i can get away with? thanks

depends on the fish, a standard 55 is 12inches wide so a female would squeeze in there just fine, if you got a male and keep him in a 55 that is only 12inches wide he would not be able to turn around very comfortably, think of an Oscar in a 55 they get the same size, 12 - 14inch male, I say have a 75Gallon then get a FH.

a 20G is not going to house any lrg growing fish.

Lol I'm not being a smart @55 but are there really 14 inch Os?

yep and Males can get a few inches bigger if given the space
They do get as big as said, peoplew buy them thinking that they dont.

there are loads of people that have 12, 13, and 14 inch Oscars on these sites

www . Monster Fish Keepers . com

or A good UK site

www . Odd Ball Express . co . uk

I havn't seen an oscar over 14", so any pictures would be good. I'm not doubting it, just a picture with a reference (ruler or similar). What I do doubt are claims of oscars at 16-18" (Until I see photos, then I will believe it)

Having said that I did find this source.
Oscar sampled from the creels had a mean length of 252 mm and a mean weight of 410 g. Fifty percent of the oscar anglers interviewed used artificial lures, while other anglers used either crickets, minnows, shrimp, worms, or cut-bait. The largest documented oscar caught in the Everglades weighed 790 g.
A 790 gram oscar must be some size, especially if a 25cm fish weighs an average of 410 grams. Note that is the 'wild' not aquarium conditions.

Most reactions

Back