Small Plecos

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a tank and I'm looking for a algae eater. Does anyone any good algae eater?

29 gallons with

2 bala sharks
2 killfish
2pictus catfish
2 silvertip sharks
10 giant danios[2 coming]

The tank is already overstocked so I wouldn't add a Plec.
Pictus Cats are very active and need plenty of swimming space. Keeping them with in such a small tank will more than likely upset the Plecs.
Are you planning on upgrading?

I know he asked a question and I could list plenty of small Plecs suitable for a 29G that isn't overstocked.
We are here to give advice, that's what I'm trying to do. ;)

probaly a 55 or 76 gallon in 1 or 2 years

I'd leave getting a Pleco until you upgrade, then you'll have room for one or two in your bigger tank.

do not get a pleco.
the sharks and the catfish need a much bigger tank.

As mentioned, there are several dwarf plecos that are suitable but I have to agree that you should hold off on a pleco until you have a much bigger tank. Silver Tip Sharks grow up to 24" and need a minimum of 100 gallons. Balas as mentioned are extemely active, need lots of swimming room, grow to over a foot and need at least 75 gallons. You will need to rehome fish or upgrade in less than a year or 2.

On a side note, if you are looking for the pleco because you have an algae problem, you would really need to ID the alage first as different fish will only eat certain types of algae. And it's always better to figure out what is causing the algae problem and fix that rather than buying a fish to take care of it.

As mentioned, there are several dwarf plecos that are suitable but I have to agree that you should hold off on a pleco until you have a much bigger tank. Silver Tip Sharks grow up to 24" and need a minimum of 100 gallons. Balas as mentioned are extemely active, need lots of swimming room, grow to over a foot and need at least 75 gallons. You will need to rehome fish or upgrade in less than a year or 2.

On a side note, if you are looking for the pleco because you have an algae problem, you would really need to ID the alage first as different fish will only eat certain types of algae. And it's always better to figure out what is causing the algae problem and fix that rather than buying a fish to take care of it.
Sorry I never was told that. A person at my near petshop said they would grow to the size of the tank? Is that true?????????????????????????????????????? :unsure:

No it isn't true. Fish will become stunted but it really has nothing to with tank size. It seems there is sketchy scientfic evidence but one thery that seems to have merit is more related to hormones that fish release (see thread here). As those hormones build up, their growth slows. If you maintain the tank properly with water changes, the hormones will not build thus allowing the fish to keep growing. So in short, it appears that if the tank is properly maintained that a fish such a silver shark could indeed reach 24" in a 10 gallon tank, provided the cramped quarters didn't kill it on it's own.

Not my Bala, they aren't active at all. My silvertip sharks are pretty big though,you're on the money there!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back